Tearing down confederate monuments

Status
Closed
Oct 2010
DC
Its disturbing that those who want statues removed are struggling with an explanation why it should be done AND at the same time other statues of perhaps equally repulsive characters should be left alone ........ and actually promising that statue removal will somehow stop

Some claim its because "they" were racist
Others claim its because "they" were slavers
Others claim its because "they" were traitors
Others seem to imply they just dont like "them"
Some bundle all of the above into one....

I'd like to see some clear criteria from the "lets remove statues" supporters which work for any and all statues.... What actual criteria should be applied to any statue to decide if it should be removed ?
I will give you criteria that might help us:
1- What protesters say about their reason?
2-What these protesters say directly to other protesters (not the rest of us) who proclaim different reasons, do they agree/disagree publicly with those reasons?

Protesters in my post means those who are against these statues, not necessarily marching in the streets only.

Viperlord

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
VA
Good job there randomly taking part of a quote of mine and distorting it to fit your agenda. *applause*

Now if you were actually honest instead of being disingenuous and trolling, you would have quoted that passage in its entirety.

Here is my quote in its proper context: "Again, not arguing in defense of slavery, but by and large black slaves in the American South were healthier, better fed, and had longer life expectancies than their supposedly "free" counterparts in Africa."

Such is the tactic of SJW's. Pure and utter dishonesty and distortion in an attempt to malign their ideological opponents.
The point I was making was that those words were racist apologia for slavery in any context. Further, you have not bothered to provide evidence supporting your claim.

Mar 2017
United States
Please provide your evidence that the picture is phony.
I don't necessarily think the picture is a fake, but the fact that it is the only photograph in which an African slave is seen with such scars speaks for itself. One cannot interpret the entirety of the black experience in the Antebellum South based upon a single photograph. Perhaps the master who worked this particular slave happened to be a sociopath. There are evil people in all walks of life. There is no evidence that the majority of Southern slave owners were especially brutal towards their slaves.

It is a single, isolated photograph without context. And it should in no way be used as evidence to malign the Antebellum South or plantation society.

Viperlord

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
VA
I don't necessarily think the picture is a fake, but the fact that it is the only photograph in which an African slave is seen with such scars speaks for itself. One cannot interpret the entirety of the black experience in the Antebellum South based upon a single photograph. Perhaps the master who worked this particular slave happened to be a sociopath. There are evil people in all walks of life. There is no evidence that the majority of Southern slave owners were especially brutal towards their slaves.

It is a single, isolated photograph without context. And it should in no way be used as evidence to malign the Antebellum South or plantation society.
Certainly. Except that there are literal reams of evidence supporting the picture of slavery shown by that picture, from slave testimonials and narratives to other observers. Slavery was brutal by nature and design.

I don't necessarily think the picture is a fake,
One questions why you referred to it as such then. One might argue that if you don't actually think that, it was rhetorical excess for the purpose of baiting. Or that the "SJW" and accusations of dishonesty you freely fling are ad hominems.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions