Ten Times Older than the Pyramids !

Dec 2011
Perth
Greetings all :)

This is rather new, and quite exciting news -

Recently found was a man-made rock structure 45,000 years old.

Ten times older than the pyramids, more than four times older than the Jericho stone tower. The oldest man-made stone structure by far.

It's called "Nawarla Gabarnmung" locally, meaning "hole in the rock", "passageway", or "valley open from the centre".

Here is a wide shot showing how it has been hollowed out from eroding rock underneath the remaining ceiling :

Here is a closer view, from about where the people above are standing, showing straight through from one opening to the other side :

Now here is a wonderful 360 degree view from inside, showing the ceiling and the third opening :

Another inside view :

The key dates are astonishing :
radiocarbon dating of charcoal excavated from the base of the lowest stratigraphic layer of the floor returned a mean age of 45,189 ±1089 years Cal BP suggesting the oldest date for the earliest human habitation.
A slab of painted rock which fell to the floor had ash adhering which was radiocarbon dated at 27,631 ±717 years Cal BP which indicates that the ceiling must have been painted before 28,000 years ago.
A fragment of a ground-edge stone axe found by the international archaeological team has been dated at 35,500 years old, which makes it the oldest of its type known in the world
(From wikipedia Gabarnmung.)

Built (or made) by early Australians 45,000 years ago.
Revealed to outsiders just ten years ago.
Ten times older than the pyramids.

Kapyong

Last edited:
Dec 2011
Perth
Gday Pessimist Crow :)

The edges of the rock plateau were eroded and crumbling. Chunks of rock were broken out and removed from the sides, piece by piece, while leaving the ceiling intact.

The columns were formed by simply leaving the rock in place, although there are some cases of columns being moved.

It must have taken some time - a few generations ?

I probably should not have used the word 'built'.
Rather, it was man-made.

Kapyong

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
What an amazing place! Presumably the ceiling paintings must range over quite a span of time, rather than all having been done at the same time? Are there are other sites with paintings in Australia which are known to have been anything like as old?

Sep 2016
Australia
Gday Pessimist Crow :)

The edges of the rock plateau were eroded and crumbling. Chunks of rock were broken out and removed from the sides, piece by piece, while leaving the ceiling intact.

The columns were formed by simply leaving the rock in place, although there are some cases of columns being moved.

It must have taken some time - a few generations ?

I probably should not have used the word 'built'.
Rather, it was man-made.

Kapyong
But it's night time right now :)

I thought it was somehow naturally formed, but that's still pretty amazing how it turned out. The artwork on the ceiling is really eye popping!

Dec 2011
Perth
Gday Linschoten and all :)

What an amazing place! Presumably the ceiling paintings must range over quite a span of time, rather than all having been done at the same time? Are there are other sites with paintings in Australia which are known to have been anything like as old?
Yes, it appears the paintings stretched over a long time. Some of them look quite new, and painting is still widely practiced.

Australian rock art is quite old yes, with some primitive examples being 40,000 years old.

There are regions with quite different styles too, such as the mysterious Bradshaw art :

Which is no older than about 20,000 years, and as recent as 5000.

The early Australians also developed a simple mapping system which they carved in rocks.

Kapyong

Dec 2011
Perth
Gday Diviacus and all :)

Wow :)
That's news to me - amazing find. Do you live nearby ?
" The attribution of the Bruniquel constructions to early Neanderthals is unprecedented in two ways. First, it reveals the appropriation of a deep karst space (including lighting) by a pre-modern human species. Second, it concerns elaborate constructions that have never been reported before, made with hundreds of partially calibrated, broken stalagmites (speleofacts) that appear to have been deliberately moved and placed in their current locations, along with the presence of several intentionally heated zones. "
Gabarnmung took it further by actually creating the 'cave', rather than modifying an existing one.

Yah, that's what I read,
I note they fudged the Gabarnmung find as "oldest of it's type".

Kapyong