Territorial Changes - Modern Times Stabilisation?

Jan 2014
Portugal
I was wondering when viewing a topic about the German Empire and Prussia how that territories changed from sovereignty to sovereignty (ex. Holy Roman Empire - Prussia - German Empire - West/East Germany - Germany)*.
It was quite common in History this type of "evolution" or territorial changes, but I think since the 1970's (the pos-decolonization) the territorial changes decreased a lot in number (the exception being USSR breakup).
Most recently (last 5 years), I can just remember the Sudan breakup and perhaps Crimea changing to Russian hands*.

The point is: Do you think that in the next decades this stabilisation will continue? Do you think that this stabilisation period doesn't even exist?

*please do not transform this topic in a topic about Germanic history or the current Ukrainian Crisis.

Aug 2013
Québec city
I was wondering when viewing a topic about the German Empire and Prussia how that territories changed from sovereignty to sovereignty (ex. Holy Roman Empire - Prussia - German Empire - West/East Germany - Germany)*.
It was quite common in History this type of "evolution" or territorial changes, but I think since the 1970's (the pos-decolonization) the territorial changes decreased a lot in number (the exception being USSR breakup).
Most recently (last 5 years), I can just remember the Sudan breakup and perhaps Crimea changing to Russian hands*.

The point is: Do you think that in the next decades this stabilisation will continue? Do you think that this stabilisation period doesn't even exist?

*please do not transform this topic in a topic about Germanic history or the current Ukrainian Crisis.
Too many conflicting and complicated issues for such a clear-cut definition of "stabilization".

For example, if Hungary gains control of Transylvania, they may view that as "stabilization" since a large amount of Hungarians live there and those Hungarians now live in Hungary rather than Romania. The Romanians would view that as "destabilization" because the Romanians living there would be ruled by Hungary now.

Who's right? Both sides have a point.

Jan 2014
Portugal
Too many conflicting and complicated issues for such a clear-cut definition of "stabilization".

For example, if Hungary gains control of Transylvania, they may view that as "stabilization" since a large amount of Hungarians live there and those Hungarians now live in Hungary rather than Romania. The Romanians would view that as "destabilization" because the Romanians living there would be ruled by Hungary now.

Who's right? Both sides have a point.
It's not about the stabilisation of a territory in particular, but the stabilisation of the world wide situation, considering: stabilization=territories don't change to other hand. ;)

Aug 2013
Québec city
It's not about the stabilisation of a territory in particular, but the stabilisation of the world wide situation, considering: stabilization=territories don't change to other hand. ;)
That's what I mean. There are a lot of territorial issues where both sides have conflicting claims, and neither will be satisfied unless they have their opinion of what should be done, done.

Given the above, I think territorial transfer will not end, or at least won't any time soon.

Aug 2013
Québec city
I know that it's not ending, but do you think it's decreasing?
It's been decreasing for a while now, but that may end when new conflicts arise, and there have been a lot of territorial/seperatist issues lately. Some of them have been simmering for a while now, others are rather new.

(Crimea and Ukraine, South Sudan, Catalonian and scottish independence referendums, seperatist Uighur terrorism in china, etc.)

Jan 2014
Portugal
It's been decreasing for a while now, but that may end when new conflicts arise, and there have been a lot of territorial/seperatist issues lately. Some of them have been simmering for a while now, others are rather new.

(Crimea and Ukraine, South Sudan, Catalonian and scottish independence referendums, seperatist Uighur terrorism in china, etc.)
Thanks for the feedback.
It's a interesting fact for me, cause a year ago I read an exert of Francis Fukuyama in school, about the "end of the worlds history" (not the apolitical view) about the total world stabilisation (post-Cold War) viewed as the "end of history", some years ago I've thought it this way, and sometimes I still think.
Looking for the overall now History had continue, even from Fukuyama's point of view.

Nov 2012
I know that it's not ending, but do you think it's decreasing?
I think it's undoubtable that it is. Personally I think the cause of it is free trade and the modern international capitalist economic system. In previous centuries, trade was confined or at least heavily restricted to imperial boundaries, and so there was constant desire to expand those boundaries and capture new territories. Now we live in a world dominated by multi-national corporations, who just need a pliant government to gain everything they want, and where the major powers all have deeply interconnected and comparatively free trade, rather than being heads of their own separate trade empires.

Mar 2014
California
Generally speaking, yes I think so. Since many some lines on the map have origins in the cold war, coupled with less hostilities, many nations are trying to redraw lines based on ethnic and national identities. Its logical that this would lead to more stabilization but it's not impossible for these same reasons to cause a destabilization.

Say, if for some reason they fail or if say a significant minority becomes violent.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
The end of colonial era with really crappy divisions of land and at end of WW1/2, and the breakup of Soviet Union have left many unresolved territorial disputes which have yet to be resolved.

Ukraine is just one area and one of the more dangerous due to both sides possessing nukes is a serious issue but Kashmir, Afghanistan/Pakistan, Israel/Palestine, Kurds, Tibet, Korea, many 'smaller' places have some issues yet to be resolved and at least 4 of those other places have at least 1 side with nukes as well.