Territorial claims in Europe in the pre-WWI and post-WWI time periods

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I want to do a list of territorial claims in Europe in the pre-WWI and post-WWI time periods. Basically, I want someone to correct me if I missed some territorial claim(s) and/or got anything wrong. Anyway, here goes:

Pre-World War I:

*France: Alsace-Lorraine
*Belgium: Malmedy?
*Germany: None
*Austria-Hungary: None.
*Italy: At least Trentino and Trieste, but possibly South Tyrol, Zara/Zadar, and/or Dalmatia as well.
*Greece: Eastern Thrace, Smyrna, northern Epirus, Cyprus?
*Bulgaria: Macedonia and southern Dobruja.
*Romania: Transylvania, the Romanian-majority areas of Hungary proper, the Banat, Bessarabia, and Bukovina.
*Serbia: Montenegro, Vojvodina/the Banat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Slovenia, Carinthia, and Trieste.
*Albania: Kosovo?, western Macedonia?
*Russia: Galicia, Subcarpathian Ruthenia, the Memelland, the Polish-majority parts of Germany, the Armenian Vilayets of the Ottoman Empire, and Constantinople.
*Ottoman Empire: Kars Oblast, Baku?
*Britain: None
*Sweden: The Aland Islands.
*Portugal: Olivenza?

What exactly am I missing here?

Post-WWI Europe (as in, around 1930):

*Britain: None.
*France: None.
*Belgium: None.
*Germany: Austria, Eupen and Malmedy, Danzig, the Polish Corridor, eastern Upper Silesia, and the Memelland.
*Poland: Teschen.
*Czechoslovakia: None.
*Italy: Dalmatia.
*Greece: Northerrn Epirus, Cyprus?
*Turkey: Hatay Province.
*Bulgaria: Southern Thrace, Macedonia.
*Yugoslavia: None.
*Romania: None.
*The Soviet Union: Bessarabia, northern Bukovina?, eastern Poland?, the Baltic states?, Finland?
*Hungary: Slovakia, Subcarpathian Ruthenia, Transylvania, and the Banat/Vojvodina.
*Austria: South Tyrol?
*Lithuania: Vilnius and its surroundings.
*Latvia: None.
*Estonia: None.
*Finland: None.
*Sweden: None.
*Denmark: None.

Anyway, what exactly am I missing here?

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Bulgaria wanted to reclaim some border territory with Serbia lost in the second Balkan war (both before and after wwi).
Denmark was interested in Northern Schleswig.
Russia was interested in East Prussia.
Serbia was interested in annexing Albania.
Britain was interested in German colonies.
Germany was interested in Luxembourg and everyone else's colonies.
Italy was interested in coastal territory in the Ottoman Empire.
The Ottoman were interested in regaining Cyprus and whatever Caucasus or Balkan territory they could get.
Greece was interested in Constantinople, the surrounding area and the Italian owned Greek islands.
France would take everything west of the Rhine if they could.

After WWI
France would again take everything west of the Rhine if they could.
Greece was interested in the Italian owned Greek islands.
Poland was interested in East Prussia and whatever territory it could gain in the east.
Italy was interested in Albania, whatever parts of Yugoslavia/Greece it could take and of course, territory in the middle east and Africa.

Jun 2017
Connecticut
I want to do a list of territorial claims in Europe in the pre-WWI and post-WWI time periods. Basically, I want someone to correct me if I missed some territorial claim(s) and/or got anything wrong. Anyway, here goes:

Pre-World War I:

*France: Alsace-Lorraine
*Belgium: Malmedy?
*Germany: None
*Austria-Hungary: None.
*Italy: At least Trentino and Trieste, but possibly South Tyrol, Zara/Zadar, and/or Dalmatia as well.
*Greece: Eastern Thrace, Smyrna, northern Epirus, Cyprus?
*Bulgaria: Macedonia and southern Dobruja.
*Romania: Transylvania, the Romanian-majority areas of Hungary proper, the Banat, Bessarabia, and Bukovina.
*Serbia: Montenegro, Vojvodina/the Banat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Slovenia, Carinthia, and Trieste.
*Russia: Galicia, Subcarpathian Ruthenia, the Memelland, the Polish-majority parts of Germany, the Armenian Vilayets of the Ottoman Empire, and Constantinople.
*Ottoman Empire: Kars Oblast, Baku?
*Britain: None
*Sweden: The Aland Islands.

What exactly am I missing here?

Post-WWI Europe (as in, around 1930):

*Britain: None.
*France: None.
*Belgium: None.
*Germany: Austria, Eupen and Malmedy, Danzig, the Polish Corridor, eastern Upper Silesia, and the Memelland.
*Poland: Teschen.
*Czechoslovakia: None.
*Italy: Dalmatia.
*Greece: Northerrn Epirus, Cyprus?
*Turkey: Hatay Province.
*Bulgaria: Southern Thrace, Macedonia.
*Yugoslavia: None.
*Romania: None.
*The Soviet Union: Bessarabia, northern Bukovina?, eastern Poland?, the Baltic states?, Finland?
*Hungary: Slovakia, Subcarpathian Ruthenia, Transylvania, and the Banat/Vojvodina.
*Austria: South Tyrol?
*Lithuania: Vilnius and its surroundings.
*Latvia: None.
*Estonia: None.
*Finland: None.
*Sweden: None.
*Denmark: None.

Anyway, what exactly am I missing here?

Any thoughts on this?
Nice list. I'd add Italy wanted Albania and parts of Turkey in the event it was portioned per the Treaty of London. Italy also requested all the land it did end up receiving like Tyrol and Istria.

The Bulgarians also wanted Constantinople.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
As Panzer pointed out, in pre-WW1 list, Denmark's grievance enjoyed the sympathy of asome of the great powers.

Post WW1, Yugo sought Istria and was granted it in WW2 adjustments. (Today Croatia has Istria rather than Italy.)

Serbia really had no claim on Montenegro. In fact, a son of the Montenegrin king was a strong contender to become the King of Serbia. A certain conspiracy prevented that development.

It was during the Great War that the relations between Serbia, Italy and France became close enough that the King of Montenegro lost all the sponsors that would have assured his return.

Last edited:

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Taking Istanbul/Constantinople wasnt Bulgarian war goal during First Balkan war, simply because it wasnt achievable. Still Russian empire feared that the Bulgarians might deprive them of conquering Constantinople & controlling the Straits, theirs centuries old dream. So, the empire convinced Bucharest to send an army across the Danube and to attack Bulgaria in its back during the Second Balkan War started by certain Saxe Coburg-Gotta monarch of ours. That's how we lost Southern Dobruja and got it back around 30 years later thanks to AH (Godwin's law)

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
For the record, I will update this list after reading and responding to all of your comments here.

Bulgaria wanted to reclaim some border territory with Serbia lost in the second Balkan war (both before and after wwi).
Was this border territory a part of Macedonia?

Also, what was the name of this border territory?

Denmark was interested in Northern Schleswig.
Yep.

Russia was interested in East Prussia.
Even before the start of World War I?

Serbia was interested in annexing Albania.
All of Albania?

Britain was interested in German colonies.
OK, but it doesn't count because Britain had no desire to actually annex these colonies.

Germany was interested in Luxembourg and everyone else's colonies.
Germany was interested in Luxembourg even before the start of World War I?

Also, again, colonies don't count since there was no desire to actually annex these colonies.

Italy was interested in coastal territory in the Ottoman Empire.
Which territories, exactly?

The Ottoman were interested in regaining Cyprus and whatever Caucasus or Balkan territory they could get.
Cyprus and the Caucasus make sense. That said, though, I haven't heard of the Ottoman Empire making any territorial claims in the Balkans during World War I.

Greece was interested in Constantinople, the surrounding area and the Italian owned Greek islands.
OK.

France would take everything west of the Rhine if they could.
Would the desire to actually annex this territory have been there, though? After all, this territory appears to have had a lot of Germans!

Also, for some reason, I don't seem to recall French people complain about the Saar and the Rhineland in the pre-World War I era (specifically after 1871, that is).

After WWI
France would again take everything west of the Rhine if they could.
What about the Germans in this territory, though?

Greece was interested in the Italian owned Greek islands.
Yep.

Poland was interested in East Prussia and whatever territory it could gain in the east.
East Prussia is certainly possible, but didn't Poland already get its desired borders in the East in 1921 with the Treaty of Riga?

Italy was interested in Albania, whatever parts of Yugoslavia/Greece it could take and of course, territory in the middle east and Africa.
OK.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Nice list. I'd add Italy wanted Albania and parts of Turkey in the event it was portioned per the Treaty of London. Italy also requested all the land it did end up receiving like Tyrol and Istria.
Italy retreated from Albania in 1920, no? Indeed, this is why I didn't put Albania on my list here.

Even in 1930?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Spain wanted Gibraltar.
Yep.

As Panzer pointed out, in pre-WW1 list, Denmark's grievance enjoyed the sympathy of asome of the great powers.
OK.

Post WW1, Yugo sought Istria and was granted it in WW2 adjustments. (Today Croatia has Istria rather than Italy.)
Yes, all of this is correct. That said, though, I was under the impression that Yugoslavia had no territorial claims on Italy after the 1924 Treaty of Rome and until World War II (which is when Yugoslavia got invaded by the Axis Powers):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Rome_(1924)

Serbia really had no claim on Montenegro. In fact, a son of the Montenegrin king was a strong contender to become the King of Serbia. A certain conspiracy prevented that development.

It was during the Great War that the relations between Serbia, Italy and France became close enough that the King of Montenegro lost all the sponsors that would have assured his return.
The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace created this map in 1914 of different countries' territorial claims in the Balkans, though:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Territorial_aspirations_of_the_Balkan_states,_1912.jpg

Here is a colored version of the map above:

As you can tell, Montenegro is clearly included in the territories which were claimed by Serbia.