The “salmon clause” for apprentices

Oct 2013
Uk
I cant speak to this specific incident but in Russel Shorto's excellent book about early New York he mentions a few times the unrest from laborers and servants at being fed lobster too many times a week.
Having done a bit more googling, it sounds like the lobster stories might be similar to the salmon ones and possibly a myth too: The Lobster Legend

Has anyone got anything verifiable? Everything I have seen just states the story as an “interesting lobster fact”!

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
This is in French

Le saumon atlantique

It states that (and provides a fac simile of such a contract): (rough translation)

Even though it was well known in most salmon countries, the existence of contracts with servants where the number of days when fresh salmon would be served to them was limited was questionned, since no such contract had been found... This has changed, the magazine "salmons" published an interesting article on this issue with a copy of such a contract

The contract itself seems to show a phrase to the effect that "Fresh salmon will not be served in the kitchen more than 3 times per week"

Oct 2013
Uk
This is in French

Le saumon atlantique

It states that (and provides a fac simile of such a contract): (rough translation)

Even though it was well known in most salmon countries, the existence of contracts with servants where the number of days when fresh salmon would be served to them was limited was questionned, since no such contract had been found... This has changed, the magazine "salmons" published an interesting article on this issue with a copy of such a contract

The contract itself seems to show a phrase to the effect that "Fresh salmon will not be served in the kitchen more than 3 times per week"
Thanks, very interesting! I will google that further, I'd like to know more about it!

Oct 2013
Uk
This is in French

Le saumon atlantique

I think this contract may be the subject of a paper here: Un problème d'écohistoire : le saumon dans les contrats de louage, une origine médiévale ? The dates etc look correct.... Will have a play with Google translate now, my French is sadly not good enough!

Oct 2013
Uk
I think this contract may be the subject of a paper here: Un problème d'écohistoire : le saumon dans les contrats de louage, une origine médiévale ? The dates etc look correct.... Will have a play with Google translate now, my French is sadly not good enough!
Yes, it's the same contract they are talking about. They say that the clause could not have had any economic effect by 1842 (the date of the contract) since we know the price of salmon in the area, and the wages of the servants are in the contract. They suggest that any real meaning for the clause must have died out by the 17th century or earlier, so it was left as an "indication" (not really sure I understand the meaning here).

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Yes, it's the same contract they are talking about. They say that the clause could not have had any economic effect by 1842 (the date of the contract) since we know the price of salmon in the area, and the wages of the servants are in the contract. They suggest that any real meaning for the clause must have died out by the 17th century or earlier, so it was left as an "indication" (not really sure I understand the meaning here).
Its a fairly long piece... Their hypothesis is that this is a "standard contract point" carried over from medieval practice (when salmon that could not be sold was fed to the servants before it went bad during "high salmon season" ) which de facto was no longer relevant by the 17th century or even earlier (depending on location)...

Earlier they note that no such contracts could be found in Britain despite researchers offering rewards for them... This leads them to question how abundant salmon really was...

Oct 2013
Uk
Its a fairly long piece... Their hypothesis is that this is a "standard contract point" carried over from medieval practice (when salmon that could not be sold was fed to the servants before it went bad during "high salmon season" ) which de facto was no longer relevant by the 17th century or even earlier (depending on location)...

Earlier they note that no such contracts could be found in Britain despite researchers offering rewards for them... This leads them to question how abundant salmon really was...
Thanks for that! It suggests that if there is any truth in the story, it possibly lies with medieval issues with food distribution, and not with some super abundance of the fish itself.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
NO I dont like Sashimi in my tea either ... maybe a little roasted rice .

Here ' ling' is one step above 'basa' and its disgusting . It has a thin weak taste and a texture like chckenfish

Basa is Mekong catfish, bred in cages, often under river houses and often fed on the waste from the hoses . It can contain chemical agents and drugs to control pathogens and parasites in the fish, fish from Vietnam were more likely to contain traces of veterinary drugs, including antibiotics, in concentrations exceeding legal limits. One study also observed that 70–80% of the catfish exported to the European countries Germany, Poland, and Ukraine were contaminated with Vibrio bacteria .

View attachment 21933

It has a texture like white silvery near translucent goo .
Please, a lingcod is not a ling!

Lingcod

This is a ling

Common ling - Wikipedia

Note the differences?

Last edited: