The Alamo - 6 March 1836

Dec 2009
Jenks, OK
Thanks for the article about to read it now.

Back to the movie, I am watching it again and think it does a nice job of representing the events. I like the casting...
William Travis
Juan Seguin
Sam Houston
Davy Crockett
I thought those were cast well.

Not sure about Jim Bowie. Jason ___ who plays him is great in the Geronimo movie with Matt Damon and Robert Duvall. I was hoping for a rougher version. But I still enjoy him in the role.

I have seen TEXAS!, the Aaron Spelling/James Michener movie from the early 90s at least 50 times as I have shown it to my 8th grade/HS classes almost yearly since 1998. I really enjoy the casting in that...
Stephen Austin-Patrick Duffy
Sam Houston-Stacy Keach
Davy Crockett-Bo Duke/John Schneider
Jim Bowie-David Keith - more rugged like I would "expect" Bowie to behave

Gonna finish up Alamo 2004 tonight. There is something about it that really holds my attention. I guess it doesn't seem as bright an fluffy as previous attempts. There is also an 80s version that i think was done on CBS that I catch on the western channel occasionally. It is dreadfully boring in my opinion and I haven't been able to stick with it.

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
Gonna finish up Alamo 2004 tonight. There is something about it that really holds my attention. I guess it doesn't seem as bright an fluffy as previous attempts.
The Alamo 04, to me, is the best one done so far. It isn't about the
pageantry, it isn't creating characters like "Smitty" (Frankie Avalon), or
having a Lithuanian (Laurence Harvey) play Travis, like
how it was done in the 1960 version. The Alamo04 is more about the
human side of the men and making them, and the defenders, seem
real and have a real flavor to them.

There is also an 80s version that i think was done on CBS that I catch on the western channel occasionally. It is dreadfully boring in my opinion and I haven't been able to stick with it.
You might be thinking "The Alamo: Thirteen Days of Glory" <1987> with James Arness as Bowie and Brian Keith as Crockett.
At least it was actually filmed in Texas, they got that part right right.

The Alamo 04, to me, is the best one done so far. It isn't about the
pageantry, it isn't creating characters like "Smitty" (Frankie Avalon), or
having a Lithuanian (Laurence Harvey) play Travis, like
how it was done in the 1960 version. The Alamo04 is more about the
human side of the men and making them, and the defenders, seem
real and have a real flavor to them.
We have no idea what Travis sounded like but Laurence Harvey had an excellent English accent.

"One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name"

Nov 2010
Indiana
New book on the Alamo.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Blood-Heroes-Alamo---Sacrifice/dp/0316053740/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335629627&sr=1-3"]Amazon.com: The Blood of Heroes: The 13-Day Struggle for the Alamo--and the Sacrifice That Forged a Nation (9780316053747): James Donovan: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61FzNUxSC9L.@@AMEPARAM@@61FzNUxSC9L[/ame]

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
Thanks M.
I haven't heard of this one yet & don't know the writer.
I don't possibly see what he can bring to light that hasn't already been written
in great detail. I'll pick it up, thumb through it and within five minutes be able
to tell if the book is a keeper or needs to be recycled.

jegates

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
OH to VA back to OH
Thanks M.
I haven't heard of this one yet & don't know the writer.
I don't possibly see what he can bring to light that hasn't already been written
in great detail. I'll pick it up, thumb through it and within five minutes be able
to tell if the book is a keeper or needs to be recycled.

James Donvan wrote this which I own (of course). I felt he did a nice job.

Baltis

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Texas
Here is a nice Alamo thread. TJ has some really nice pics and diagrams in the first two lines of this thread. There used to be more but some of the links got canceled. Anyway, what would the TX contingent do without an annual review of the Alamo?

:)

Similar History Discussions