The Alamo - 6 March 1836

Jan 2018
Sturgeon Lake Mn.
It now seems to me that the Texians in the Alamo were fellas trapped and helpless and forced to fight to the death rather than people who chose to, as the myth would have it.

They were surprised by the Mexican army and retreat being impossible repaired in haste to the Alamo. Negotiations failed as the Mexicans refused to grant terms. So the defenders had no choice but to fight. Note that many tried to flee during the Mexican attack and reasonably so.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Did Crockett's group have a name for themselves?
Never heard of a group name for them, Baltis.

I remember reading that there were a few wives and children and slaves among the survivors who were not harmed by Santa Ana and allowed to leave the compound after the battle. Can’t remember how many, though. sn’t the town of Dickinson (?) named after one of these survivors?

Baltis

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Texas
Never heard of a group name for them, Baltis.

I remember reading that there were a few wives and children and slaves among the survivors who were not harmed by Santa Ana and allowed to leave the compound after the battle. Can’t remember how many, though. sn’t the town of Dickinson (?) named after one of these survivors?
The town is named for a fellow named John Dickinson who received a Mexican land grant for that tract in north Galveston County along what is now Dickinson Bayou. The survivor was Susannah Dickinson who had come from Tennessee with husband, Almaron Dickinson, in 1831 to Gonzales.

After the battle, Susannah left with the other survivors and went to join the Texian army with the bad news. She had a tough time of it in the new Republic but ended with quite a story. https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fdi06

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
The town is named for a fellow named John Dickinson who received a Mexican land grant for that tract in north Galveston County along what is now Dickinson Bayou. The survivor was Susannah Dickinson who had come from Tennessee with husband, Almaron Dickinson, in 1831 to Gonzales.

After the battle, Susannah left with the other survivors and went to join the Texian army with the bad news. She had a tough time of it in the new Republic but ended with quite a story. https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fdi06
That is a good story, Baltis.

Jan 2018
Sturgeon Lake Mn.
The distinctive semi-circular facade fronting on Alamo Plaza was added by the US Army when it used the Alamo as a storehouse. There are, literally, hundreds of buildings in and around San Antonio that have copied this shape.
And zillions of businesses named Alamo—Alamo Airport, Alamo Barber Shop, Alamo Car Wash, Alamo Drug Store etc (thanks to John Waters). And on the South Side along the river where the functioning missions are there are many businesses named Mission.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Yes let us remember the great Mexican victory at the Alamo

after all if you know your history you should know that it was Mexico that won the battle of Alamo and not Texas
Yes, smart-y pants, we know the Alamo defenders were killed to the last man which alone makes their defense both heroic and tragic at the same time. But the women (and children(?) and slaves were all spared by the Mexicans. More to the point, however, is the simple fact that it bought enough time for Sam Houston to organize his rabble at San Jacinto which attacked the “Napoleon of the West” during their “Siesta time” and routed them, taking Santa Anna prisoner. Napoleon was never that dumb. The Alamo defenders never knew of Santa Anna’s defeat, but it cost the Mexicans their northern province, and the rest is history. So, the deaths of the Alamo defenders was not in vain.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Hello everybody and thank you.I have seen the film when i was child…. an absolutely fantastic reconstitution.The actors,Wayne,Widmark and the colonel a little pretentious,have perfectly played their legendary partition.
Actually, I’m pretty sure th last Alamo movie was quite a bit more accurate than the John Wayne version.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
When I was reading the thread, I, supposely like Corto, thought as well that here is a lot of gushing praise. I would like to know, how the Texas revolution is teached in the US or especially in Texas itself. As far as I know did the mexican Republic grant settlers from the USA to settle within the borders of Mexico and even granted special rights to these settlers. When the number of immigrants became too big, further immigration was abolished and e.g. the right of free taxes collected. A further main point for further struggle was, that mexico prohibited the slavery. so the Texas revolution is an uprise of a slavery-supporting immigrants against the legitimate government of mexico. I suppose, that is not what you get tought, isn't it?
Thank you for talking down to us - it shows what an immature child you are. You think we don’t know Texas history? Think again. The main flag that flew over the Alamo was the Mexican 1824 flag. It was a silent witness to the slaughter that took place, but it was not, then, a flag of rebellion against the Mexican government, but a reference to the 1824 Mexican Constiution which Santa Ana had so brusquely violated.

Sam Houston, the Texian “general” whose ill-equipped and poorly-armed rabble army smashed Santa Ana’s parade-ground “regular army” while they were taking a siesta at San Jacinto (outside present-day Houston, Tx), at first did not realize that they had captured the Mexican president because he had changed clothes into a lower rank’s uniform. When he was pointed out to Houston, the fate of Mexico’s northern province was sealed.

Santa Ana, after he was released on a promise of Texas independence, tried to weasel out of “the deal” and further conflicts were in Texas’ future. But it was too late for Santa Ana, and too late for Texas as a province of Mexico. Santa Ana was like the inflatable store toy that keeps bouncing back up after being hit, but he was never able to recuperate his lost province.

Similar History Discussions