The Arctic is burning

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
Wildfires Ravaging The Arctic Right Now Are So Intense, You Can See Them From Space

Arctic Fires Fill the Skies with Soot

Very bad news. Probably with snowball effects that will only deteriorate an already bad situation, in regards to climate change.

The greatest irony of it all, is that forests are a shield against greenhouse effects and overheating of the planet. Recently I've read a scientific theory, that in order to reverse climate change, planting billions of trees could have a dramatic positive effect and it would also have been the cheapest way. And now, instead of that we get to lose so many more forests.

Tree planting 'has mind-blowing potential' to tackle climate crisis

Reactions: Futurist

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
The future of the planter appears to be dire.

I fear that the world wide population increase, combined with the deleterious effect of the climate on agriculture will lead to famine and mass migrations and eventually someone will think that a nuclear weapon is the solution. Once one is tossed, then who knows?

I am an old man, but I have children and grandchildren and I wish that I could fix things for them.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
Wildfires Ravaging The Arctic Right Now Are So Intense, You Can See Them From Space

Arctic Fires Fill the Skies with Soot

Very bad news. Probably with snowball effects that will only deteriorate an already bad situation, in regards to climate change.

The greatest irony of it all, is that forests are a shield against greenhouse effects and overheating of the planet. Recently I've read a scientific theory, that in order to reverse climate change, planting billions of trees could have a dramatic positive effect and it would also have been the cheapest way. And now, instead of that we get to lose so many more forests.

Tree planting 'has mind-blowing potential' to tackle climate crisis
This sort of feedback effect is terrifying. Hot weather because of increased CO2, more CO2, even hotter weather. My hope, and it’s a faint one, is that eventually the public and business will lead the way and not leave it to governments to sort out.

Mar 2014
Lithuania
It is hard to understand climate science. I have seen documentary where some kind of fringe scientist from Russia was propagating replacing as much forest as possible with Tundra. He gave some kind of argument, that would be better for cooling planet. He dreamed even about reintroducing mamonts to keep forests from regrowing.

Feb 2014
Miami
This sort of feedback effect is terrifying. Hot weather because of increased CO2, more CO2, even hotter weather. My hope, and it’s a faint one, is that eventually the public and business will lead the way and not leave it to governments to sort out.
Business and the ultra rich are short sighted. They will just build more insulated homes and say it’s a poor mans problem.

Reactions: Edratman

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
Business and the ultra rich are short sighted. They will just build more insulated homes and say it’s a poor mans problem.
They might, just might, be a bit more long sighted than governments. I did say it’s a faint hope.

Mar 2014
Lithuania
True long term solution for ecological problems would be to drastically reduce human population. Let's hope that neither ultra rich, nor governments will catch on to this idea. This might be especially tempting, when massed of poor would not be needed for work after further advances in automation and artificial intelligence.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
And who cares what happen in Artic?.... It would not be first time Artic is hot... and Antartic was a tropical Jungle... Only 50 millions years ago... Antartic was a kind of Amazonas.... Earth Planet doesn´t depend about weather.... I care nothing.... maybe we are going to a new Ice Age with Permafrost in Mexico and white bear in Thailand... who knows...

In any case I believe nothing about "ecologist" lobbies....if the planet is getting hot... I don´t care.. maybe later it is getting cold....it wouldn´t be first time or last time...Also Sahara was an Amazonas Silva.... and now it is a desert... and not.... the desertification in Sahara is not matched to General Motor, Airbus or Volkwagen... and if in the future, Sahara will be again a great jungle... nobody can avoid....

So.... Who care what happen in Artic? Not to me!!!

Reactions: Ancientgeezer

caldrail

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
As bad as it seems, forest fires are not unusual in geographic events and some destruction in the distant past far outweighs what is going on now (there were no paleontological fire-fighters for one thing).

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
As bad as it seems, forest fires are not unusual in geographic events and some destruction in the distant past far outweighs what is going on now (there were no paleontological fire-fighters for one thing).
In the distant past a rise of a few metres in sea level wouldn’t have a catastrophic effect on humanity.