The Battle of Thermopylae what really happened?

Jul 2016
USA
why didn't Leonidas retreat too? He could have done that easily, right?
The retreating Greeks needed a rear guard to form a blocking position to at least temporarily prevent the main body from being chased down by Persian forces. Somebody was going to have to sacrifice themselves to block the route, even if it was for less than 24 hours.

The Spartans weren't planning on retreating, especially after Leonidas' supposed message from the oracle of Delphi, which essentially said he had to die in battle to save Sparta from being destroyed.

The other Greeks staying was the more interesting fact, as their city states were certainly less war like than Sparta, so their sacrifice that much more surprising.

Feb 2019
netherlands
The retreating Greeks needed a rear guard to form a blocking position to at least temporarily prevent the main body from being chased down by Persian forces. Somebody was going to have to sacrifice themselves to block the route, even if it was for less than 24 hours.

The Spartans weren't planning on retreating, especially after Leonidas' supposed message from the oracle of Delphi, which essentially said he had to die in battle to save Sparta from being destroyed.

The other Greeks staying was the more interesting fact, as their city states were certainly less war like than Sparta, so their sacrifice that much more surprising.
Nice. I read a bit about it just now. It seems some of the other greeks ( the thebes) were forced to stay tough.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
The hot spring position created a natural bottleneck
once past it , the Persian could deploy their massively larger force
they could then use their light infantry to chase down the heavy holpites and bring them to bay
Leonidas kept the Greeks whose lands were already overrun , eventually they would submit to Persia ,
might just as well use them up now
pretty standard good generalship ,
the heroics were useful too in pumping up the moral of the defenders

Jul 2017
Australia
Do I really have to list out the notable historians who have noted Delbruck for his influence? This is just childish.

I just use the phrase "military taxonomy", I am aware of what "taxonomy" actually means.