The battle of Tollense 1200 - 1300 bc Bronze age weapons vs stone age weapons?

Aug 2019
Netherlands
What are your thoughts about this battle in general?

About 3200 years ago, two armies clashed at a river crossing near the Baltic Sea. The confrontation can’t be found in any history books—the written word didn’t become common in these parts for another 2000 years—but this was no skirmish between local clans. Thousands of warriors came together in a brutal struggle, perhaps fought on a single day, using weapons crafted from wood, flint, and bronze, a metal that was then the height of military technology.

Struggling to find solid footing on the banks of the Tollense River, a narrow ribbon of water that flows through the marshes of northern Germany toward the Baltic Sea, the armies fought hand-to-hand, maiming and killing with war clubs, spears, swords, and knives. Bronze- and flint-tipped arrows were loosed at close range, piercing skulls and lodging deep into the bones of young men. Horses belonging to high-ranking warriors crumpled into the muck, fatally speared. Not everyone stood their ground in the melee: Some warriors broke and ran, and were struck down from behind.

When the fighting was through, hundreds lay dead, littering the swampy valley. Some bodies were stripped of their valuables and left bobbing in shallow ponds; others sank to the bottom, protected from plundering by a meter or two of water. Peat slowly settled over the bones. Within centuries, the entire battle was forgotten...

Last edited:

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
It wasn't bronze weapons vs stone weapons. The elite on both sides had bronze. The rest - on both sides - used stone.

Reactions: macon
Aug 2019
Netherlands
It wasn't bronze weapons vs stone weapons. The elite on both sides had bronze. The rest - on both sides - used stone.
Wouldn't a more common warrior shoot with stone arrowheads at bronze equipped elite warriors?

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
The implication of the OP is that everyone on one side had bronze and everyone on the other side had stone.

Jul 2019
Ghana
I like this piece, the battle of Tollense, by Jose Daniel Cabrera Peña:
Tollense Bronze Age battle.jpg

I don't know exacatly how accurate it is, but I like it. Seems absolutely brutal :)

Mar 2018
UK
View attachment 23587

I don't know exacatly how accurate it is, but I like it. Seems absolutely brutal :)
Should we have a competition to see who can find blatantly wrong things in this photo?

I'll start: the man riding a horse in the middle. There was no cavalry anywhere in the world in this time frame (apart from chariots), and that horse is so large its out of place by at least 2000 years

Aug 2019
Netherlands
View attachment 23587

Awesome.
How accurate i don't know but they must have looked proto-celtic i assume. The horse couldn't be that big indeed what olleus says.

Aug 2019
Netherlands
Should we have a competition to see who can find blatantly wrong things in this photo?

I'll start: the man riding a horse in the middle. There was no cavalry anywhere in the world in this time frame (apart from chariots), and that horse is so large its out of place by at least 2000 years
Were there no horse mounted warriors in that time? But this time is well after the yamnaya people coming into europe, right? They rode horses too, right?

Mar 2018
UK
Were there no horse mounted warriors in that time? But this time is well after the yamnaya people coming into europe, right? They rode horses too, right?
Must admit my lack of knowledge here. I thought that the first cavalry in warfare was from 600BC or so, before that it was chariots. That's not to say that people didn't ride horses for other parts of life however

Reactions: Deano
Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
I believe it was a local tribe that attacked a wealthy merchant caravan. Few of the bodies found have evidence that they killed by swords, which led me to assume that the locals who were killed by swords were taken away for burial while the foreigners killed by more primitive weapons were left to rot. The site of the battle seems to have been a perfect place for an ambush, where the marshy ground would have limited the advantage of the horses.

Reactions: Deano