The Berlin Airlift

Sep 2019
Turkey
it was a huge operation for saving 2 million Berliners . I've watched a 20 minutes documentary about but know it's more complicated than it.So what dou you guys suggest ?

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
I have a doubt, why didn't Soviets shut the airspace above West Berlin.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I have a doubt, why didn't Soviets shut the airspace above West Berlin.
It's a fact they didn't. While the Soviets had military ground superiority they the didn't necessary have air superiority. The US also a had number of atom bombs by that time while the USSR did not have a functional bomb yet.

Reactions: Devdas

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
It's a fact they didn't. While the Soviets had military ground superiority they the didn't necessary have air superiority. The US also a had number of atom bombs by that time while the USSR did not have a functional bomb yet.
I was assuming, they may be bound by some treaty to allow civilian flights over East Europe in lieu of using West Europe's airspace.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I was assuming, they may be bound by some treaty to allow civilian flights over East Europe in lieu of using West Europe's airspace.
Yes there was a treaty that stated the right of access to Berlin by the four occupying powers. Each power controlled a zone in Berlin. Either Stalin found a loophole regarding ground access or didn't care. It was clear Stalin wanted the three western allies out of Berlin entirely.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Stalin probably didn't imagine a city the size of West Berlin could be supplied by air.

Shutting off the air corridors would have led to war, which Stalin wasn't prepared for.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Stalin could close the ground corridors without firing a shot. Stopping airplanes from flying into Berlin would have required shots be fired. History does not look kindly on the side that fires the first shot.