The best dressed soldiers in history?

Jan 2008
Chile, Santiago
There is another thread about the best soldiers in history, but I think it's more important to look good before you fall in battle.

Which in your opinion were the best dressed (using any criteria you feel fit) soldiers and army in history.

Feel free to break it into separate time periods, wars, continents as you see fit.

Jun 2009
Wales
Now this is my sort of thread! I vote for the Redcoats, of course! American Revolutionary War era. The sailors also were very smartly dressed around that period and the Napoleonic era. It's quite hard to find a decent picture of a redcoat though. The Life Guard Regiment from the Household Cavalry are still very smartly dressed to this day!

Dec 2009
The Gaulish Gaesatae of the III century BC, who "had discarded these garments owing to their proud confidence in themselves, and stood naked, with nothing but their arms, in front of the whole army, thinking that thus they would be more efficient, as some of the ground was overgrown with brambles which would catch in their clothes and impede the use of their weapons." (Polybius, 28:8).

Jan 2008
Chile, Santiago
I think the best dressed of WW2 hands down were the germans, especially the generals. Both evil and stylish at the same time. They really fitted the role of the bad guys.

Reactions: bboomer
Jan 2008
Chile, Santiago
The Gaulish Gaesatae of the III century BC, who "had discarded these garments owing to their proud confidence in themselves, and stood naked, with nothing but their arms, in front of the whole army, thinking that thus they would be more efficient, as some of the ground was overgrown with brambles which would catch in their clothes and impede the use of their weapons." (Polybius, 28:8).
No need to post pictures of this. :)

Similar History Discussions History Forum Date
Military History
General History
European History
General History