The best dressed soldiers in history?

LatinoEuropa

Ad Honorem
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
Trailer for "Soldier Millions" Soldado MIlhões

04 Apr, 2018 - 11:14

On April 9, 1918, one of the bloodiest battles of World War I took place, the Battle of La Lys in Flanders. It was in this scenario that a Transmontano soldier, Aníbal Augusto Milhais, became the Portuguese hero of the First World War. An incredible story that now comes to theaters with the Renaissance. In the centenary of the Battle of La Lys, the directors Gonçalo Galvão Teles and Jorge Paixão da Costa were inspired by real facts to tell the story of Soldier Millions. In theaters on April 12.

Reactions: martin76

Lord Fairfax

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Changing trains at Terrapin Station...
I've said it before, but Cavaliers from the BCW. Fabulous. I'm also looking for an excuse to post pictures of Prince Rupert...
I love the lace along with the armour. It's a great contrast.

Again, notice the armour, along with the more dandyish stuff; a nice cravat and a peach sash. Stylish.

The Royalists did have a penchant for dressing finely. 489px-Sir-Anthony-van-Dyck-Lord-John-Stuart-and-His-Brother-Lord-Bernard-Stuart.jpg

Oct 2017
South Australia
They sure did. I love the plate armour from this period, especially when its set off with some fancy lace and silk, like @gladiatrice said. It looks great when the edges of the plates are clad in a strip of gold or brass, not sure what the exact metal is (you can see it on his arm here).
Another couple of Prince Rupert:
princerupert2.jpgCapture.PNG

Reactions: Todd Feinman

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
The Knights From Medieval Times,

;)
The Germans have consistently looked very cool throughout the years.

Teutonic Knights
I have a book on Templar histories and the genuine shield/flag works in there show a cross sewn or painted on like some junior school kid. The armour was practical rather than glorious and nobody would be especially clean

Can't help thinking you are imagining a world of Tony Curtis, Robert Taylor and Charlton Heston riding gloriously dressed in ridiculous colours and impractical armour!

In real life, no

pikeshot1600

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
They sure did. I love the plate armour from this period, especially when its set off with some fancy lace and silk, like @gladiatrice said. It looks great when the edges of the plates are clad in a strip of gold or brass, not sure what the exact metal is (you can see it on his arm here).
Another couple of Prince Rupert:
View attachment 24547View attachment 24548
Although armor had become much less common on a battlefield, portrait armor (or "studio armor") remained a fashion among those of high rank or military/social position. One can google such portraits of Maurice de Saxe or Frederick the Great - mostly before 1750. After the mid 18th century that became rare.

Not everyone of course was immortalized in portraits, but officers, and even generals, who were of lesser social position tended to be painted wearing fine clothes, but without armor. There are examples posted above.

Last edited:

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
Now this is my sort of thread! I vote for the Redcoats, of course! American Revolutionary War era.
The dress and appearance of the British soldier in the American Revolution was often quite different to common notions as the British adapted to American conditions. Coats were often cut down to short shell jackets or coat sleeves were sewed to vests to make jackets. Hair was cut short, hats were worn slouched, brown duck trousers were sometimes issued and hatchets and tomahawks were commonly carried.

Tactics were different too with wide spaces between files, fast, aggressive movement and lots of skirmishers.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
My favourite uniforms are Austrohungarian and confederates...but also French are beautiful.

I like very much Confederate uniforms.. but the "popular uniforms in movies"... I know in real life, in History.. Confederate lacked of uniforms.... they wore lot of different uniforms: not only Grey (likely grey was not as widely used as in movies, I think)...but green, red, dark blue (as Union), brown, etc etc...

According with a Spanish newspaper EL pais... Confederate Soldiers were the most elegant soldiers in history...

I have some questions: is it truth Confederate States choose grey color as the official colour uniform for the regular army? (I guess in real life many confederate never wore grey colour). is it Truth the confederate uniforms were designed by a great german taylor named Nikola Marschall, the same man designed the Confederate official flag?

I didn´t know Confederate choose grey as the official colour and I didn´t know a German taylor designed the official confederate uniforms..... I always thought confedeartes used so many colours: Black, green, Dark Blue, brown, red, etc (and also civilian clothes as the Boers)...and I didn´t know it was a great taylor who designed the dress!!!

Similar History Discussions History Forum Date
Military History
General History
European History
General History