The best post-independence African and Middle Eastern leaders?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I have recently read about this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Félix_Houphouët-Boigny

Basically, he was the leader (dictator) of the African country of Cote d'Ivoire between 1960 and his death 33 years later (in 1993). Under his leadership, Cote d'Ivoire experienced double-digit economic growth for years, kept close ties with France, and experienced stability for the most part. In addition to this, unlike other dictators (who jailed, exiled, and punished their various opponents), Houphouët-Boigny gave his various political opponents things such as government jobs in order to satisfy them and secure their loyalty to him. Due to all of these factors, Felix Houphouët-Boigny appears to have been a pretty good and technocratic leader of Cote d'Ivoire. :)

Anyway, which other post-independence African and Middle Eastern leaders rank highly in your book, and why exactly?

Jan 2015
Ireland
I would perhaps say Nasser, the second president of Egypt. His lack of anti-Israeli propaganda gave him some western credibility in so far as it dismissed the common trope that Israel was constantly surrounded by enemies in the Middle East.

Furthermore, the lack of an aggressive foreign policy and his focus on internal affairs was especially progressive. He was an Arab nationalist and that threatened certain status-quo attitudes towards Middle Eastern states. I'll preface, I don't think he was especially brilliant or a modern hero of state leadership, but, all in all, he wasn't the worst, and in some cases he was very good.

Similar History Discussions