Dec 2018
Arizona
thVXSZXYGO.jpg
“It wouldn’t take very many bombs to really change life on Earth, … The idea that there are thousands of them sitting around is pretty scary. I don’t think people today realize that. They don’t think about it. I don’t think they are scared. But in a way, they should be. “The invention of 'The Bomb' was a millennial change in human history: for the first time, we were now capable of our own destruction, as a species.” Countries other than the United States and Russia have them. If India and Pakistan ever go at it the whole world will suffer from collateral damage, It’s as if The Bomb doesn’t want to remind us that 70 years ago on August 6, 1945 Albert Einstein's theory changed the World. The Robert Stogner Show "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
<Link removed by mod>

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 2015
MD, USA
But it’s difficult to believe that nuclear weapons will never be used now the genie has been released.
Oh, agreed! Believe me, I'm in Washington DC, so I'm ground zero for every nut-job on the planet! But nuking DC doesn't mean the human race will cease to exist--that was a tall order even when stockpiles were at their height. And every possible scenario most certainly has been thought about and considered and possibly even planned for by any number of people. We *are* thinking about it, all the time.

Matthew

Jan 2012
South Midlands in Britain
The nuclear bomb is the one form of self-destruction we think about. We forget all the others such as pollution, climate change, destruction of habitats and so on. Humanity will face a crisis and its population will be reduced but it will survive.

Jan 2015
MD, USA
The nuclear bomb is the one form of self-destruction we think about. We forget all the others such as pollution, climate change, destruction of habitats and so on. Humanity will face a crisis and its population will be reduced but it will survive.
Sorry, WHO forgets all the others??? We are beaten over the head with CLIMATE CHANGE and every other possible ecological problem on an hourly basis, to the point where every flat tire or lost sock is blamed on MANKIND'S DESTRUCTION OF THE ENVIRONMENT. Or maybe is the cause of it. Or both. Where are you living?

Matthew

Jan 2012
South Midlands in Britain
I live down what was once a little, sleepy country lane just south of the Northamptonshire border which has become thick with traffic due to the complete and utter incompetence of the authorities in a neighbouring town who have built congestion into their road network forcing through traffic to take short cuts past my house. There is no doubt the additional carbon dioxide has improved my hedges. The noxious diesel fumes, as just about everyone now drives a huge SUV without passengers has driven my wife into coughing fits. If a visiting technician parks in the road the passing citizenry complain about obstruction as it forces them to comply with the speed limit rather than going along at full throttle. I could go on. None of this is working. Perhaps that nice Mr Putin will use one of his new fast rockets to wreck it all. Yadder, yadder, yadder..

Jan 2018
Canada
“It wouldn’t take very many bombs to really change life on Earth, … The idea that there are thousands of them sitting around is pretty scary. I don’t think people today realize that. They don’t think about it. I don’t think they are scared. But in a way, they should be. “The invention of 'The Bomb' was a millennial change in human history: for the first time, we were now capable of our own destruction, as a species.” Countries other than the United States and Russia have them. If India and Pakistan ever go at it the whole world will suffer from collateral damage, It’s as if The Bomb doesn’t want to remind us that 70 years ago on August 6, 1945 Albert Einstein's theory changed the World. The Robert Stogner Show "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
Its a popular belief that Einsteins theory of special relativity was the scientific step that enabled the atom bomb. In fact, this isn't true. The scientific step that most directly enabled the atom bomb was the discovery of fission in December 1938 by Otto Hahn. An understanding of special relativity wasn't required to develop a nuclear weapon.

This article explains it best: ''In terms of the science, E=mc² gets a lion’s share of attention, most perfectly expressed by Einstein’s portrait on the cover of Time magazine in 1946 (above) with his equation emblazoned on a mushroom cloud. A lot of people seem to think that E=mc² played a key role in the development of the bomb, that the weapon just falls out of the physics. This is wrong. The equation can help one understand why atomic bombs work, but it doesn’t really tell you how they work, or whether you would expect them to even be possible.''