The bombing of Dresde

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
I do remember soviets & their satellites /second world in general R.I.P./ considered it as something overdone and excessive, due to the thirst for blood of the old/new empires etc cold war talk, perhaps because city of Dresden was in DDR.

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
This is what I said in the last thread about this. I have not changed my mind.
"The bombing was Churchills idea as part of a plan to target cities in eastern Germany to prove to Stalin that the UK and US were still contributing to the war effort. The western ground forces were stalled on the German border and Stalin was complaining that the western allies were content to sit back and let the Russians do all the work.

With the Yalta conference underway to decide the shape of post war Europe Roosevelt and Churchill needed a strong hand to deal. While Roosevelt was a bit of an idealist, there can be little doubt that Churchill would take the opportunity to show Stalin what western air power could do, in the guise of assisting the Russian ground forces. "

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
A bit of cold war and post-commie period talk: they certainly didnt understand the message, for them what happened in Dresden was supposed to serve as a demonstration of the western shear military might and a readiness to ignore all principles of humanity in order to achieve their imperialistic aims, something like look at Dresden, tomorrow it will be Moscow and Leningrad.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
A bit of cold war and post-commie period talk: they certainly didnt understand the message, for them what happened in Dresden was supposed to serve as a demonstration of the western shear military might and a readiness to ignore all principles of humanity in order to achieve their imperialistic aims, something like look at Dresden, tomorrow it will be Moscow and Leningrad.
There was nothing special about Dresden, it was just a standard heavy raid of the period.
Churchill's sole involvement was to agree to a target list prepared by the RAF's joint intelligence committee.

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
There was nothing special about Dresden, it was just a standard heavy raid of the period.
Churchill's sole involvement was to agree to a target list prepared by the RAF's joint intelligence committee.
I understand. Such were the times. Bloody. The Geneva convention amendment prohibiting deliberate attack of civilian objects, even if the area contains military objectives was adopted in 1977. My intention was to show the other historomites the point de vue of the cold war adversary about this historical event and rhetoric of the 'enemy' during these days in general.

Similar History Discussions