The British never achieved anything of value in their entire history before 1500

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
You are definitely an expert in the English language. Haven't you heard about capital letters, and where to apply them?
One of the joys of the internet. Make a typing error or abbreviate something and some keyboard warrior brands you as ignorant.

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
Of course you're not going to run into a whole lot of pre-15th century buildings most places. They are old and people throughout history have knocked down old buildings to make new ones or the buildings just collapse after awhile. I mean how many cities are there where the people hundreds of years ago just decided, "You know, this is good, we don't need to change it again."

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
You have been commenting on India. How many years did you spend there?
You referenced your years in Europe as if it was of some importance and how while there you didn't notice many pre-15th century buildings.
I merely pointed out as someone under the age of 6 its highly unlikely you would have done, even if there had been loads near where you lived. :)

Mar 2018
Canada
You referenced your years in Europe as if it was of some importance and how while there you didn't notice many pre-15th century buildings.
I merely pointed out as someone under the age of 6 its highly unlikely you would have done, even if there had been loads near where you lived. :)
Actually, I have pretty decent memories of my years in the USSR. I didn't understand why people were terrified, but I could see the fear when a KGB agent turned up. I remember going to school everyday (in A Russian kindergarten, where I had to speak fluent Russian).

And I remember the architecture quite well. Again, the only reason I brought this up is because some nitwit said i had never been to Europe.

Offspring

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
România
It doesn't matter that the user said that you've never been to Europe and he was technically wrong. You were still too young for that to be relevant to the context. You weren't able to distinguish between 14th century buildings and 17th century ones. Speaking languages some Europeans also speak doesn't change anything.

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
Well this seems to have devolved into bickering but I agree it seems rather silly to dismiss British civilization because one hasn't seen pre-15th century buildings there.

I mean even if I were to live there for years as an adult and didn't see them - well buildings get destroyed because of political movements, natural disasters, because they're replaced by newer ones, because of war. Were the people just living without buildings back then? And I think others have brought up that there actually are pre-15th century buildings in the UK.

And this bold claim "achieved nothing." Maybe you could say Britain was a bit of a backwater (I mean, maybe) and not terribly advanced in the Middle Ages but to say they "achieved nothing," I don't think it was a stone age civilization.

Bish

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
Well this seems to have devolved into bickering but I agree it seems rather silly to dismiss British civilization because one hasn't seen pre-15th century buildings there.

I mean even if I were to live there for years as an adult and didn't see them - well buildings get destroyed because of political movements, natural disasters, because they're replaced by newer ones, because of war. Were the people just living without buildings back then? And I think others have brought up that there actually are pre-15th century buildings in the UK.

And this bold claim "achieved nothing." Maybe you could say Britain was a bit of a backwater (I mean, maybe) and not terribly advanced in the Middle Ages but to say they "achieved nothing," I don't think it was a stone age civilization.
There is definitely one or 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_buildings_in_the_United_Kingdom

And 2 of those from my home city and still complete and in use.

Norwich castle, founded 1067 the stone keep was built at the end of the 11th century.

And Norwich cathedral completed in 1145.

Last edited: