The British never achieved anything of value in their entire history before 1500

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
The naval rockets seem to have been more effective than the military ones; but am I mistaken in thinking that this was something of a dead end?

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
The first date in English History is 55 b.c., in which year Julius Caesar (the memorable Roman Emperor) landed, like all other successful invaders of these islands, at Thanet. This was in the Olden Days, when the Romans were top nation on account of their classical education, etc.

The Ancient Britons were by no means savages before the Conquest, and had already made great strides in civilization, e.g. they buried each other in long round wheelbarrows (agriculture) and burnt each other alive (religion) under the guidance of even older Britons called Druids or Eisteddfods, who worshipped the Middletoe in the famous Druidical churchyard at Stoke Penge, The Roman Conquest was, however, a Good Thing, since the Britons were only natives at that time.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
" THE Chapters between William I (1066) and the Tudors (Henry VIII, etc.) are always called the Middle Ages, on account of their coming at the beginning; this was also The Age of Piety, since Religious fervour was then at its height, people being (1) burnt alive with faggots (The Steak), (2) bricked up in the walls of Convents (Religious Foundations), and (3) tortured in dungeons (The Confessional).

All this was not only pious but a Good Thing, as many of the people who were burnt, bricked, tortured, etc., became quite otherworldly.

Nowadays people are not so pious, even sinners being denied the benefits of fervent Religion. "

Ancientgeezer

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
The first date in English History is 55 b.c., in which year Julius Caesar (the memorable Roman Emperor) landed, like all other successful invaders of these islands, at Thanet. This was in the Olden Days, when the Romans were top nation on account of their classical education, etc.

The Ancient Britons were by no means savages before the Conquest, and had already made great strides in civilization, e.g. they buried each other in long round wheelbarrows (agriculture) and burnt each other alive (religion) under the guidance of even older Britons called Druids or Eisteddfods, who worshipped the Middletoe in the famous Druidical churchyard at Stoke Penge, The Roman Conquest was, however, a Good Thing, since the Britons were only natives at that time.
Ancient Britons burying their dead in wheelbarrows? Cheddar man on the left.

Bish

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
Ancient Britons burying their dead in wheelbarrows? Cheddar man on the left.

And as we can see, Health and safety was important even then. Though ti did not seem to extend to footwear. Where are his mammoth hide toecap safety boots.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
The naval rockets seem to have been more effective than the military ones; but am I mistaken in thinking that this was something of a dead end?
They were good against irregular troops and those with low moral, but they weren't very lethal, even for the weaponry of that period.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
I found this quotation from the Duke of Wellington:

" The effectiveness of the rocket is limited to employment against uncivilized natives and Americans" !

P.S. He didn't want then in the Peninsula but got some. From a letter of 1810: "I assure you that I am no partisan of Congreve's rockets, of which I entertain but a bad opinion, from what I recollect of the rockets in the East Indies, of which I believe those of Congreve are an imitation."

I have been curious about them ever since I saw a rocket troop in an episode of Sharpe!

Last edited: