The Century Timeline - A hobby community project

Oct 2019
United Kingdom
Hello, new here and first post. For a while I’ve been working on a silly history project of mine. It’s not for anything, just a hobby but over time I’ve realized the scale of this thing is just much to big for me to continue working on alone. I’ve tried getting others involved through history Discords and Reddit but didn’t get any traction. Now I’ve just discovered this place and am again opening the project to people to chip in with any contributions.

So what is this project? It’s called the Century Timeline and really is just a super long Excel spreadsheet, however I aim to document at least 1 historical event for every single day since the 1st of January 1900 all the way to today. I’ve been keeping up the modern day side of things and done some other work around the timeline but for what will end up being probably 45,000 entries I don’t think I can do it alone. As I say though this project is just for fun and I do hope others can find at least some enjoyment in it. Find the document here, it should be open for anyone to edit.

Reactions: Futurist
Nov 2016
Germany
I would have lots of ideas for entries, but why does the list suddenly jump from February 18, 1917 to February 19, 2011? And where are the years 1944 and 1945, for example? The list is chronologically simply too confusing.

Oct 2019
United Kingdom
I would have lots of ideas for entries, but why does the list suddenly jump from February 18, 1917 to February 19, 2011? And where are the years 1944 and 1945, for example? The list is chronologically simply too confusing.
Ah yes maybe i should have also said: I'm currently in the process of laying out each day. Because there are so many days a lot of copy and pasting has gone on, which means I'm having to manually change each date.

Nov 2016
Germany
The big question in all this is, of course, what is the sense and purpose of a global historical timeline "day by day"? This makes sense for the biographies of individual celebrities, but for global history? And as you write "at least 1 historical event for every single day", that is of course far too little. A single day should have at least 100 entries. The threshold for what is considered historical should not be set too high, otherwise the thing becomes too selective and schoolbook-like. A simple example: How important is the event that Adolf Hitler's parents met? Historically, it's extremely important. But would you add it to your list if the date of the day were known? This shows how difficult the criterion for importance is. (OK, that occurred not in this century, but it´s a good example of that difficulty.)

Last edited:
Oct 2019
United Kingdom
The big question in all this is, of course, what is the sense and purpose of a global historical timeline "day by day"? This makes sense for the biographies of individual celebrities, but for global history? And as you write "at least 1 historical event for every single day", that is of course far too little. A single day should have at least 100 entries. The threshold for what is considered historical should not be set too high, otherwise the thing becomes too selective and schoolbook-like. A simple example: How important is the event that Adolf Hitler's parents met? Historically, it's extremely important. But would you add it to your list if the date of the day were known? This shows how difficult the criterion for importance is.
Yes I would totally include that. History is everything, big and small. If there's something that's only historically known in your local town sure it may not be a "important" but it's still something I'd add. The only criteria is that every day have at least something because there is indeed no limit on how many events, big or small can fit in a day.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I think that a good move on your part might be to look at various Wikipedia pages for different years to see who exactly was born when, who exactly died when, and what important events occurred on various days.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Another typo is on the last entry for March 7, 1900:

"A fire at Bukingham Palace destroys parts of it's roof."

It's "its", not "it's". "It's" is short for "it is", which doesn't apply in your sentence here.

Nov 2016
Germany
The question remains: Why should anyone access this historical cloud? What is he looking for there? Does he want to know what happened simultaneously in the world on a certain day (e.g. the Potsdam Conference ended on the same day Norma Jeane Dougherty aka Marilyn Monroe became a model in the Los Angeles Blue Book Agency, that is, on 2 August 1945)? Or can search terms be used to find out what a certain person did on a certain day? I don't see the point of the project yet. As a biographical timeline of individuals or as a timeline of certain events (e.g. WWII) it would make sense, but if there is no thematic limitation, what is the practical purpose?

Last edited:
Oct 2019
United Kingdom
I think that a good move on your part might be to look at various Wikipedia pages for different years to see who exactly was born when, who exactly died when, and what important events occurred on various days.
Yep thats hat I've been doing so far but, well there's a lot of days you know. And thanks for pointing out errors, I'll get to fixing them soon.