The Chi Rho symbol as "Chrest" and the archeology of "Chrest"

Kookaburra Jack

Ad Honorem
May 2011
Rural Australia
Archaeology of ‘Chrest’

Archaeology of the ‘Great and the Good’

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_Rho]Chi Rho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

The Chi Rho is one of the earliest forms of christogram, and is used by Christians. It is formed by superimposing the first two letters in the Greek spelling of the word Christ ( Greek : "Χριστός" ), chi = ch and rho = r, in such a way to produce the monogram . Although not technically a cross, the Chi Rho invokes the crucifixion of Jesus as well as symbolizing his status as the Christ.[1]
The Chi-Rho symbol was also used by pagan Greek scribes to mark, in the margin, a particularly valuable or relevant passage; the combined letters Chi and Rho standing for chrēston, meaning "good."[2][3] Some coins of Ptolemy III Euergetes were marked with a Chi-Rho.[4]

PTOLEMAIC KINGS of EGYPT. Ptolemy III Euergetes. 246-222 BC. Æ (44mm, 69.72 g, 12h). Alexandreia mint. Head of Zeus-Ammon right, wearing tainia / Eagle standing left on winged thunderbolt; filleted cornucopia to left, chi-rho monogram between legs. Svoronos 964; SNG Copenhagen 171. Good VF, rough brown surfaces.

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
The usage of the chi-rho by the Ptolemies, though new to me, is unsurprising.

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
I am still curious as to what the actual point of the discussion is? Help me out KJ.

Kookaburra Jack

Ad Honorem
May 2011
Rural Australia
What exactly are you attempting to convey here, Kookaburra?
Hi okamido,

That there appears to be a significant archaeology for "Chrest" which, if true, may have been available to Constantine. The CHI RHO was a symbol of "Greek academic learning", although the WIKI article cited calls this "pagan Greek scribes". I am attempting to convey the need to disambiguate "Chrest" and "Christ" in the ancient historical record, and also the use of the CHI RHO symbol.

I am also attempting to point out - and raise for discussion if possible - these recently authored articles on the subject of the archaeology of "Chrest". Did you read either of the two articles I cited? Do you have any comments about them?

Best wishes,

KJ

Last edited:

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
Thanks, KJ. I thought this might have been it, the existence of the symbol before Constantine, but I wanted to be sure. Flesh out your ideas more next time. ;) :)

Kookaburra Jack

Ad Honorem
May 2011
Rural Australia
Thanks, KJ. I thought this might have been it, the existence of the symbol before Constantine, but I wanted to be sure. Flesh out your ideas more next time. ;) :)
Hi okamido,

If the Chi Rho symbol in antiquity was generally known as the symbol of the term "Chrest" = "The Good" and if the archeology of "Chrest" supports this claim, then chronologically only from the rule of Constantine does the FULL NAME of this ABBREVIATED symbol lose its "E" and instead becomes an "I". I have fleshed out earlier some notes and ideas about the use of these terms here:

Chrestos & Christos : The sources of chrestos and christos in antiquity

More recently I have reviewed the ideas of Plato (linked below) as found in Plotinus, preserved in Porphyry, whom Bullneck burns. These contain, as one of the names "sometimes associated" with the supreme "One", aka sometimes "God", the term "The Good" (the "All" out of which everything emerges)

Did Constantine see himself as fighting for "The Good Guys"? ;) :)
[ie: the leader of chrestos - the good] Going back to first principles
what does the ancient historical evidence actually say on this?

AFAIK it says he adopted a CHI RHO.
It goes no further than this abbreviation.
The "I" or the "E" are extra.

Best wishes

KJ

Last edited: