The comet which killed the Mammoths

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
I'm just throwing this out there....could the comet have shifted the earth's tilt? The earth is a top and when it leans too far in one direction
I have read that the tilt was caused by the same impact which caused the Moon, which was way before life formed on the planet.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I'm just throwing this out there....could the comet have shifted the earth's tilt? The earth is a top and when it leans too far in one direction
it is cold or hot....read once that if it were straight up and down there would be no seasons. I am by no means an authority on this, but considered myself an educated amateur.
If it was big enough to do that, it would have wiped out all life on Earth, sterilised the planet and vapourised the seas.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
No, the tilt wasn't affected by this possible impact with the fragments of a comet.

The impact theory [still discussed by scientists, this has to be kept in mind] says that it was a train of fragments of a comet to hit the earth in sequence [while the fragments were arriving the earth was orbiting as usual ...] affecting a wide geographical area.

We can say that the fragment which would have fallen in Syria was "on late", but it could be the other way round and it was the first one.

The large majority of the fragments probably hit the ice cap, this is why, also the biggest ones haven't left visible craters.

The total power of the impacts was compatible with a partial melting of the ice cap [Northern ice cap], the giant continental floods in Northern America and Eurasia and the following long "winter". But not compatible with a global extinction event like the one caused by the asteroid which terminated the age of dinosaurs.

As I was mentioning above, the main problem of this theory is that it gives an explanation why, while the glacial age was beginning to end, there was a sudden further fall of the temperatures [Younger Dyras], it doesn't explain why the glacial age finally ended [was it an irreversible process that the impact brake for a millennium?].

An other problem is that a part the presence of nanodiamonds in the right layers, there aren't conclusive evidences [the smoking gun, we could say]. Anyway there are interesting discoveries, like this one in Mexico PNAS Plus: Evidence from central Mexico supporting the Younger Dryas extraterrestrial impact hypothesis

Sep 2014
Texas
when I was writing my Timeline for the horse..in addition to the flooding was the evidence of fires....enormous fires. The end of the Pleistocene Age seems to have been an environmental nightmare. While the impact theory would account for the extinction of megafauna in North America and Europe and along the polar lands..it does not account for S. America having a megafauna extinction while sparing Africa and Southern Asia....megafauna existed until recent...like the last 4,000 years in Syria to China. Humans have to take responsibility for that kill off.

Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
As there were still mammoth around, when the pyramids were built in Egypt, this comet can't have killed the mammoth.

I don't believe in this hypothetical comet killing animal species in the ice age (I haven't red the links, but I will do it when I have the time).

I think, because the most popular known mass extinction event involves a meteorite, people can't imagine mass extinction events without them.

Aug 2011
Sweden
As there were still mammoth around, when the pyramids were built in Egypt, this comet can't have killed the mammoth.

I don't believe in this hypothetical comet killing animal species in the ice age (I haven't red the links, but I will do it when I have the time).

I think, because the most popular known mass extinction event involves a meteorite, people can't imagine mass extinction events without them.
Many large mammals were lost around the time the event took place anyway. The future will show if the event theory will be accepted or not.

Similar History Discussions