The concept of "cognitive revolution"

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Thanks motorbike, I agree with a lot of that.

Man is a cultural animal. I have done studies on culture in decline or immanent crisis, and the sort of things that happens in them is horrific and / or tragic . To be brief, the main cause ( due to a variety of possible reasons) is loss of culture , actually, loss of the culture they where using to 'make sense of ' and ive in the world.

I have also done studies on and had personal experience with ( as a worker in a hospital and psyche ward ) 'feral' or 'isolated' children , some are not quite 'human' and are beyond repair, due to being deprived of the normal developments that come from cultural inter relations.

[ ..... now, about that interesting name of yours

:)

1564093142689.png 1564093191673.png

Do you think I should get the green one or the blue one , I cant decide . }

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Mah ...

the "cognitive revolution" is an aspect of the paradigm of the "Great Jump" [but really great!] that humanoid did in a far past. Did it happen?

Since I've been in contact with cognitive psychology, technically even in a cell there are cognitive processes. Probably it would be better to talk about "awareness revolution".

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Mah ...

the "cognitive revolution" is an aspect of the paradigm of the "Great Jump" [but really great!] that humanoid did in a far past. Did it happen?

Since I've been in contact with cognitive psychology, technically even in a cell there are cognitive processes. Probably it would be better to talk about "awareness revolution".
Yes, as I go more through 'Sapiens' ... I get what he is on about, but the term ( and some of his explanations ) seem lacking . Cognition , also , is not wholly the domain of HSS.

I looked at what HSS CAN DO , that any other cannot .... and those range of activities I describe as material products of creative imagination.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
Yes, as I go more through 'Sapiens' ... I get what he is on about, but the term ( and some of his explanations ) seem lacking . Cognition , also , is not wholly the domain of HSS.

I looked at what HSS CAN DO , that any other cannot .... and those range of activities I describe as material products of creative imagination.
The author clearly intends for the laypeople, even in the original Hebrew; he translated his book alright and is a good example of plain English.

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
The problem is we have sporadic evidence of Neanderthals and even Homo erectus having artistic thought. Also there is absolutely nothing in Neanderthal (or even Homo erectus) biology that indicates they weren't capable of human-like (or nearly so) language. According to Ralph Holloway there's evidence that brain reorganization was already well underway by Australopithecus afarensis. Not to mention that raw brain size is almost meaningless; the encephalization quotient (brain-to-body ratio corrected for raw body size) is far more important and the evidence shows the brain was already getting larger by Au. afarensis as well.

So whatever revolution occurred was probably no fundamental change but at most a sudden (as in several thousand or tens of thousands of years) blooming of existing behaviors, or even just a population explosion which caused these things to be suddenly common in the archaeological record.

Last edited:

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
The problem is we have sporadic evidence of Neanderthals and even Homo erectus having artistic thought. Also there is absolutely nothing in Neanderthal (or even Homo erectus) biology that indicates they weren't capable of human-like (or nearly so) language. According to Ralph Holloway there's evidence that brain reorganization was already well underway by Australopithecus afarensis. Not to mention that raw brain size is almost meaningless; the encephalization quotient (brain-to-body ratio corrected for raw body size) is far more important and the evidence shows the brain was already getting larger by Au. afarensis as well.

So whatever revolution occurred was probably no fundamental change but at most a sudden (as in several thousand or tens of thousands of years) blooming of existing behaviors, or even just a population explosion which caused these things to be suddenly common in the archaeological record.
Are we certain that Neanderthals and Homo Erectus had stories and myths?

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
Are we certain that Neanderthals and Homo Erectus had stories and myths?
I would say hardly less certain if at all than we are that Natufians had stories and myths. Certainly Homo erectus language would be simpler and more rudimentary than ours, especially near its beginning. I can't see a reason why Neanderthal language would be any more than negligibly distinguishable in complexity from Homo sapiens language of the same time.

Last edited: