The current plight of Native Americans, African Americans, Maoris, and the Aborigines

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Thanks for the recommendation! I spent some time to finish the whole movie of Utopia and is quite shocked.
How can the government be brazenly lying about the situation?
Why systematic abuses still happen?
How ? Why ? Its the usual government stuff; steal land, ruin it to make short term money, suppress people in the way - usual story. Australia is no different ... Oh, we try to make it look good from the outside, but dont forget, this is a country that STILL locks up children ( refugees already suffering trauma , shock and mental health issues ) behind razor wire , exports uranium, etc. etc .

1547235430681.png
Australia's detention regime sets out to make asylum seekers suffer,
says chief immigration psychiatrist

We should see how residential schools failed.
Some people previously asked "why the Australian First People were so technologically backwards"?
Then, is technology the only aspect of humanity?
Nope ! There are MANY more. Living a fulfilled happy and satisfied life, IMO is very important. That can be achieved with minimal technology.

And things that would take mammoth organization, mobility, machinery, monitoring and technology, nowadays, where achieved in Australia, per-colonial times, without modern technology ( eg 'The Great Estate' concept ; numerous writers and painters depicted the first discovered landscapes as 'Park like' - considering back then, there where NO National Parks or real public parks , what they where comparing the countryside to was a park estate of a rich person - 'landed gentry' that they where familiar with . Landscaped, gardened, wide open areas of grass, scattered trees, lanes, stocked with hunting game and inter spaced with fields of herbage and grain. ... ALL over the country .

https://www.allenandunwin.com/browse/books/general-books/history/The-Biggest-Estate-on-Earth-Bill-Gammage-9781743311325

We assumed industrial civilization during the years of residential school, and these people neither fit in their own culture nor the industrial civilization.
The Chinese fable is 邯郸学步 (learning the walking style of the City of Hangdan); in the fable, a child attempted to learn the walking style of the City of Hangdan; he failed to adopt the new style and forgot how to walk altogether.
In the residential school, the students failed to adopt to both cultures.
In the realistic setting, the old culture is quite moribund; how should these people adopt to the Information Culture?
Well, they adopt well, if they are bought up in it, they are just as capable as anyone else. But you have to be bought up in it. The early formative years are VERY important in embedding specific cultural templates.

Just get a kid that is used to being indoors, watching tv and playing computer games and stick them in the country for a few days and take away their technology .... they have a near break down ! And sometimes that is what they HAVE to do ... break them down first to rebuild them !

Japan estimates that 500,000 teenagers are addicted to the internet

Reactions: bboomer

Tairusiano

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Brazil
except for Incans and Aztecs, Native Americans did not build any states; the Maoris were somewhat more advanced than the Aborigines.
Except Incas and aztecs? this two empires were built on the conquest of other native american states, Mayans citie states, or the kingdoms or the leagues, Teotihuacan, Muisca confederation, Toltec, Purepecha, Moche city states, Olmecs, Wari, Sican, Tiwanaku , this from the top of my head, the Inca and Aztec, were only part of thousand of years of civilizations and states development.

Feb 2016
ROK
"less progressive" :)

This is the portrait of ancient Germanics and Celts

They were the same during 1000 years BC, nothing progressive
And with their Roman brothers

:D
And this is a footage of a Roman flirting with the ancient Germanics and the Celts.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
The Maori express a lot of pride in their culture.

They are a strong and fierce people, in regard to 'rude outsiders' ... yet when I stayed with them (and showed them respect ) I was offered land to camp on, company, food, got taken fishing, to sites, out on a jet boat, duck hunting ... they shared everything with me.

" Cousey-bro " :)

I love the pride and strength they exhibit.

Jan 2008
The early English Puritan immigrants to New England had very large families. Eight, nine, or ten children per mother were common, so they had a very high birthrate. The birthrate of the New England Algonkin I ndian tribes was considerable lower. Indian women usually nursed their babies for 3 or 4 years, or sometimes even longer. This long period of lactation kept them from getting pregnant for several years after they'd given birth. The English colonist women nursed their children for a shorter period of time, and so became pregnant much sooner again after having given birth.

And so the English population increased much faster, and spread out from Plymouth and from Massachusetts Bay, while the Algonkin (Wampanoag, Massachusett, Nipmuck, and Pocumtuck) populations declined.

Oct 2017
America ??
You forgot to include Jews & Gypsies in this comparison of Europeans’ historical victims. These victims should all be considered historical & cultural shame & embarrassment for Western Civilization, & in many ways they have come to be over the past century. Yet in my opinion, the most shameful is the turning of a whole race of humanity into livestock & dimwits.
I just want to mention that the nature of the situation with Afro-Americans is rather different to the Indigenous victims. Their situation may be arguably the worst. The natives were indirectly but nevertheless brutally pushed & wiped out of their homelands. Those who remained were now minority & ostracized in their homelands under foreign control. But Afro-Americans weren’t just disgraced & ostracized, they were literally made into livestock & tools. This is not simply a big misfortune of the people like it was for the natives’, & unlike the Jewish Holocaust, this became their cultural & social, & even physical identities for centuries, & there seemed like there was no end of it at the time. The few sympathetic & rational voices were no match for the oceans of conformity of the eras. It was a brutal, deep & hopeless pit for them they couldn’t even imagine to climb out of, but only seemed to get deeper & deeper.
You couldn’t be more culturally & socially disgraced as a people than that. Like Malcom X said, that’s the main if not only reason they are even in those lands. It’s like their historical immigration stamp or branding. Of course, it’s not like Western civilization was aware of what was happening at the time, at least not until it was too late. Slavery & ostracization, it just seemed to be the way the word always was for most people. In fact, most people wouldn’t have been aware of the native genocide & slavery at the time, the only people who would were those working with it, & even then very few if any people had a bird’s eye view of it like we do today looking back.
Big historical tragedy indeed. In my opinion, one of the biggest examples we have of humanity’s capacity of mindlessness & stupidity, & that’s a scary thought indeed. Capital & conformity winning over reason & empathy. Those who do not learn history are bound to repeat it.

Last edited:
Apr 2017
Lemuria
The problem is people doesn't know what civilize truly means because they do not have better standards. So in the past the strong went around subugating the weak in the most barbaric fashion imaginable in the name of civilization. Since history is MOSTLY told from the point of view of the victors, they classified the defeated as savages and themselves as the civilized (exception applied; the Mongols hated the so called civilization and did a great service to mankind by culling the population and removing unsanitary cities). Only now people are developing some civility as displayed in the Sentinelese case. Nationalism and tribalism are essentially the same thing but different scale.

If the more advanced tribes (they don't deserve the title of civilizations) had gone around in a good spirit without being too naive, people by now would be flourishing. Nothing has changed since the stone age. They are essentially the same people, now just with smaller brain, fatter and more decadent and hedonistic. Their fat, grotesque body in testimony of their decadence, gluttony and general consumerism.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Except Incas and aztecs? this two empires were built on the conquest of other native american states, Mayans citie states, or the kingdoms or the leagues, Teotihuacan, Muisca confederation, Toltec, Purepecha, Moche city states, Olmecs, Wari, Sican, Tiwanaku , this from the top of my head, the Inca and Aztec, were only part of thousand of years of civilizations and states development.
He also omitted the Cahokia , Natchez ,other mound builders, the pueblo peoples and the Iroquois in North America.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
While in Australia I saw several attempts to assimilate aboriginals into white culture. I distinctly remember visiting one settlement near Alice Springs where the government had built them modern homes, they had taken off the doors, burnt a lot of the furniture, the place looked like it had been ransacked. The local aboriginals didn't really want to live like whites. I heard them state that they, "had the right to be poor". White locals called them lazy, you could see them hanging out under trees all day, they just had different priorities and the white folks just couldn't understand it.

Reactions: specul8