The day Buddha moved

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
On the first of September 1923 , the 121 tonnes bronze Buddha called Kotoku-in moved 60 cm ( 23 inches )

the great Kanto earthquake devastated the Tokyo region
big Earthquake happen in the bay every one hundred years or so
one is now due

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
True, but the displacement was later corrected. By the way, I very much doubt that Buddha would have been enthusiastic about a monumental idolatry like this statue.

View attachment 20632
They're all over Asia, and that's not even the biggest Buddha in Japan. I;ve been inside that one.

As for the Buddha;s views, I reckon if the statues reminded people of his teachings, he woukdn't gave minded them. U don't recall uddha being against idolatry per se.

Nov 2016
Germany
As for the Buddha;s views, I reckon if the statues reminded people of his teachings, he woukdn't gave minded them. U don't recall uddha being against idolatry per se.
In my understanding, Buddha's teaching is about finding the Buddha nature within oneself, which is made more difficult or impossible by depicting and worshipping the human Buddha as a superhuman, which is inevitably the case when depicting him in gigantic dimensions. This creates a distance to what one should become one with, i.e. Buddha nature is projected outwards instead of found within. If people need a statue of Transformers dimensions in order to be reminded of the Buddhist teachings the cards are stacked against them to achieve the goal of realizing Buddha Nature. Moreover, it should be remembered that even during the time of his success, Buddha went from door to door begging for his food. This really doesn't fit in with such wickedly expensive representations, which seem rather comical, considering Buddha's real existence as a beggar. And the fact that Buddha did not speak out explicitly against idolatry anywhere does not of course mean that he would have approved such a grotesque nonsense like this:

1560386829833.jpeg

It also reminds in an unpleasant way of the (self-)deification of narcissistic and power-hungry potentates like Ramses II:

1560388944175.png

Or, even worse, the statues of Stalin:

1560389422160.png

Statues like this (33 meters) are also debatable:

Christ the King (Świebodzin) - Wikipedia

1560389615719.png

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
True, but the displacement was later corrected. By the way, I very much doubt that Buddha would have been enthusiastic about a monumental idolatry like this statue.
Buddha also would not mind a small lateral movement. He lives in present.
In my understanding, Buddha's teaching is about finding the Buddha nature within oneself, which is made more difficult or impossible by depicting and worshiping the human Buddha as a superhuman, which is inevitably the case when depicting him in gigantic dimensions.
Worship or respect for what he taught. Respect for teachers is OK.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
On the same day, Tokyo's first western style skyscraper, the 12 storey Ryounkaku, which housed the first elevator in Japan (made by Otis), was destroyed. Spooky coincidence?

The Tokyo Skytree stands very close to the former site of the Ryounkaku.

Mar 2012
In my understanding, Buddha's teaching is about finding the Buddha nature within oneself, which is made more difficult or impossible by depicting and worshipping the human Buddha as a superhuman, which is inevitably the case when depicting him in gigantic dimensions. This creates a distance to what one should become one with, i.e. Buddha nature is projected outwards instead of found within. If people need a statue of Transformers dimensions in order to be reminded of the Buddhist teachings the cards are stacked against them to achieve the goal of realizing Buddha Nature. Moreover, it should be remembered that even during the time of his success, Buddha went from door to door begging for his food. This really doesn't fit in with such wickedly expensive representations, which seem rather comical, considering Buddha's real existence as a beggar. And the fact that Buddha did not speak out explicitly against idolatry anywhere does not of course mean that he would have approved such a grotesque nonsense like this:

View attachment 20642

View attachment 20652
This perspective is rather modern age, and you must realize that Buddhism in its Mahayana form is essentially a religion. Theravada Buddhism might not talk about
Buddhist representations as essential, and early Zen might even smash statues to prevent people from getting attached to them; yet in Tibet, cultivating on Buddha's physical form (化生) ('phrul lus) is considered what makes the esoteric vehicle superior to exoteric Buddhism. In esoteric Buddhism, the final step at achieving Buddhahood cannot be independent from visualizing a Buddha/Bodhisattva's physical form and its representation, therefore statues and tankas and what they portray isn't just attachments, but the perfect representations of Buddha's physical form and what they symbolize, which needs to be visualized in detail (each of the 36 hands in a Bodhisattva for example, needs to be visualized and what they represent understood) during meditation to achieve final liberation as a Buddha (including finally seeing the physical form and its details as empty). Even outside of esoteric Buddhism, Mahayana still maintains that Buddha's form is there to check your ego. You might not consider this rational or "Buddhist", but religious believe and tradition is a real force and telling them that they are wrong is like telling Christians that Jesus probably isn't the son of God.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
yeeh get an insight , share it with others , the word spread
then there is a church with priests crawling all over it with lot of money to be made

Similar History Discussions