The death of George Armstrong Custer

SPERRO

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
North East England
Question:

Is it true that the suspected killer of G.A. Custer, is a Sioux indian (Hunkpapa) called "Rain in the face"?

jegates

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
OH to VA back to OH
Question:

Is it true that the suspected killer of G.A. Custer, is a Sioux indian (Hunkpapa) called "Rain in the face"?

No one knows actually who killed Custer

Rain claimed to have cut Tom Custer's (brother of George) heart out and at one time claimed to have even killed George.

However, he later confessed to not having done either.

The NAs had no idea they were even fighting Custer until after the fact.

Jan 2013
Mountain View N.M.
No one knows actually who killed Custer

Rain claimed to have cut Tom Custer's (brother of George) heart out and at one time claimed to have even killed George.

However, he later confessed to not having done either.

The NAs had no idea they were even fighting Custer until after the fact.

I agree with jegates.

It entirely depends on 'who' you read and the motivations and agendas of the-that particular author. And the initial reluctance, for fear of retribution, on the natives part.

Later to amend that to 'such and such' did the deed. And then even later revert back to an attitude of well 'we really don't know'; because NA survivor's don't walk to discuss it. Because of antipathy directed towards the world of 'white academia' who might misrepresent their viewpoint. Or because the native or non native historian has a revisionist agenda to 'glamourize and demonize' etc.etc.

I've seen it all.

The best and most honest and objective is as noted. They simply don't know viz the 'fog of war'.

Ntl.There are numerous candidates to include Rain and or Gall. And then there is White Bull of the Sans Arc. His story was first related by S. Vestal back in 1932.

See the following: The Man Who Killed Custer | American History Lives at American Heritage

Enjoy the link.

Thanks.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
I think White Bull is the best candidate, but we'll never truly know because of the fog of war. If White Bull did in fact kill Custer, he didn't know it was Custer until after the battle was over.