The Descendants Of The Chola ,the Cheras and the Pandyas

Nov 2012
Pandyas were only successful because Cholas exhausted themselves with the Chola Chalukya wars even as they were the eventual victor and meanwhile Chalukyas also broke the back of Pallavas.

I wouldnt say the age of kings is over. Look at the reverence some leaders inspire in India. When MGR had a stroke which paralyzed his left arm, dozens of Tamil youth chopped of their own arms to show their empathy!

But what about the north? How are the entourages ,militias and behavior of Laloo,Mulayalam and Mayawati any different from a petty king ?
Or Thackeray mania in Maharashtra? Not to mention the reign of "Anna" NTR in Andhra. Given half a chance, their followers would have them coronated. Heck I think NTR went through a mock Pattabhishekham(Vedic coronation) complete with a bath of milk!
I agree with this assessment fully. Also the whole regional chieftains bargaining in national politics also is similar to how the different regional kingdoms pulled each other down. The politics of today represents a lot of similarities in a different context from that of the past. Muslim appeasement etc. Hell I would say Marathas reaching upto Attock has parallels with Modi winning 2014, winning Maharashtra, Jharkhand, Haryana etc. Delhi followed by Bihar have proved to be his Panipat.

Jan 2015
Here and there
I agree with this assessment fully. Also the whole regional chieftains bargaining in national politics also is similar to how the different regional kingdoms pulled each other down.
I would see it more as regional parties cooperation in abiding by the central government to avoid presidents rule as equivalent of the successful king reinstating the loser as a tributary.

The politics of today represents a lot of similarities in a different context from that of the past. Muslim appeasement etc. Hell I would say Marathas reaching upto Attock has parallels with Modi winning 2014, winning Maharashtra, Jharkhand, Haryana etc. Delhi followed by Bihar have proved to be his Panipat.
I dont care for Modi or the Hindutva brigade in general as I think they do considerable damage to Hinduism in the long term due to their ignorance, incompetence and myopia. However I dont think the loss of Bihar means very much as rarely was Bihar in play for BJP.
Perhaps another historical comparision is apt. BJP is more of northwestern entity (in conjuction with southwestern RSS) which sought to impose its values on a vratya Bihar best elaborated by Advani performing rath yatra and even ashvamedha where he drank blood(certainly it was not a horse which was sacrificed though). Laloo Prasad responded to this challenge to his domain by having Advani locked up.

However,I consider Bihar and Jharkhand less Vedic and more tribal territory which they have been for a long time at least since the fall of Harshvardhan.

At one point , it was mostly IA which people find hard to believe and therefore assume blue eyed Buddha(who was related to the people of Bihar at the time) mustve been a Saka implant since he doesnt resemble people of the region today.

Feb 2017
India
You don't believe me or anybody believes me. Iam the decendent of Pandian and Chola Dynasty, I hold the Septre now, which is given by great Sages, for the past incompleted task. Iam born and raised in Andhra Pradesh,but visited all the places connected to me in Tamil nadu, Kerala and karnataka and did various Homam.

God bless everybody....

Jul 2014
world
I would see it more as regional parties cooperation in abiding by the central government to avoid presidents rule as equivalent of the successful king reinstating the loser as a tributary.

I dont care for Modi or the Hindutva brigade in general as I think they do considerable damage to Hinduism in the long term due to their ignorance, incompetence and myopia. However I dont think the loss of Bihar means very much as rarely was Bihar in play for BJP.
Perhaps another historical comparision is apt. BJP is more of northwestern entity (in conjuction with southwestern RSS) which sought to impose its values on a vratya Bihar best elaborated by Advani performing rath yatra and even ashvamedha where he drank blood(certainly it was not a horse which was sacrificed though). Laloo Prasad responded to this challenge to his domain by having Advani locked up.

However,I consider Bihar and Jharkhand less Vedic and more tribal territory which they have been for a long time at least since the fall of Harshvardhan.

At one point , it was mostly IA which people find hard to believe and therefore assume blue eyed Buddha(who was related to the people of Bihar at the time) mustve been a Saka implant since he doesnt resemble people of the region today.

Saka is totally different from Shakya. And Buddha was a black haired golden hued man. Just like what Biharis look like today.

Mar 2014
Canada

What an ill informed post which is unsurprising since it comes from a banned troll.
First off the people of Buddhas birthplace today speak Awadhi, not any "Bihari" language. Secondly "Bihar" is a British creation like UP and MP and an amalgamation of three main regions (Bhojpur, Magadh and Mithila). Bhojpur and Mithila have barely any tribals and have always been inhabited by IA people especially Mithila which has long been a centre of Brahmanical learning.

And what do you mean by "resemble people of the region today"? Like I said there are three groups of people.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Not all people in Bhojpur, Mgadh and Mithila may have IA extraction though all races have intermingled heavily. If IAs could come to Bihar, why not a few Sakas prior to their coming in strength (though I agree it is not very probable)?

Jan 2016
India
It is a misnomer to speak of an Indo-Aryan "race," as it is just a linguistic family. Even by the time the Indo-Aryan tribes were in Afghanistan, they had greatly mixed on their way with non-IE people. Indo-European expansion was not really a migration of people in strict sense but small-scale migrations/conquests accompanied with constant assimilation. Culturally, the term Indo-Aryan denotes the Sanskritic culture and norms, and in this sense let alone Bihar even some Dravidian and southeast Asian countries are very Aryan while there is almost nothing Aryan about Kashmir except in a superficial sense.

Jan 2016
India
This is the most ridiculous thing I have read this week. Some people tend to think that the Vedic society was some kind of a golden age with European looking people having advanced science and living in huge cities and centralised empires. In reality, Vedic society was heavily tribal and primitive, probably more similar to tribals of Bastar than the settled communities of post-Vedic Bihar. Jharkhand, however, never really was a very sedentary region as it is/was heavily forested.

I do not understand what is supposed to meant by "since the fall of Harshvardhan." What really changed in Bihar since then? Bihar is peopled by identical kind of population today as it was in ancient and mediaeval times.

:lol:

Last edited:

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Not all people in Bhojpur, Mgadh and Mithila may have IA extraction though all races have intermingled heavily. If IAs could come to Bihar, why not a few Sakas prior to their coming in strength (though I agree it is not very probable)?
What's the proof that Saka migrated there, that's too in 600BC. Saka influence was concentrated to North-Western India, not in the Eastern part of the country. Awadh is the modern name of Kosala, the word Awadh originated from Ayodhya. Culturally, Kapilvastu was the extension of Awadh and people there still speaks Awadhi dialect.

Similar History Discussions