The Descendants Of The Chola ,the Cheras and the Pandyas

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Saka is totally different from Shakya. And Buddha was a black haired golden hued man. Just like what Biharis look like today.
The Kapilvastu kingdom constituted what we know today as Kapilvastu district in Terai Nepal and Siddharthnagar Nagar district in Uttar Pradesh.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
It is a misnomer to speak of an Indo-Aryan "race," as it is just a linguistic family. Even by the time the Indo-Aryan tribes were in Afghanistan, they had greatly mixed on their way with non-IE people. Indo-European expansion was not really a migration of people in strict sense but small-scale migrations/conquests accompanied with constant assimilation.
Thanks. I wholly agree with this. If they could go as far as Bihar, Bengal and South India, then why not Kashmir from Saraswati river valley or even directly? :)

Mar 2014
Canada
Not all people in Bhojpur, Mgadh and Mithila may have IA extraction though all races have intermingled heavily. If IAs could come to Bihar, why not a few Sakas prior to their coming in strength (though I agree it is not very probable)?
I use IA purely in the linguistic and cultural context, as Bhrigu pointed out using IA in a racial context broaches into pseudo-history.

As far as I know the Sakas only held sway over North Western regions. There is no evidence for a migration of Sakas into the Gangetic plains so it would be mere conjecture for us to assume this without evidence. If any Sakas did migrate eastwards then it would likely be in negligible numbers and hardly worth discussing since no one has found Saka coins or inscriptions in the region.

Last edited:

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Thanks. I wholly agree with this. If they could go as far as Bihar, Bengal and South India, then why not Kashmir from Saraswati river valley or even directly? :)
Aryan migration looks rather dubious. People in Uttarkhand, Himachal, Jammu and Kashmir are generally fairer compared to people of the Indo-Gangetic plains and thus lit looks very dubious they spread in Himalayas via Indo-Gangetic plains due to some Aryan migration.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
I use IA purely in the linguistic and cultural context, as Bhrigu pointed out using IA in a racial context broaches into pseudo-history.
I completely agree with this. Whether it is Indo-Europeans, Persians, Scythians or any other, it should be taken in sense of people and not 'race', like the Indian people. No people have blue blood. We have intermixed even with the Neanderthals, Denisovans and others. It happens over time.
Aryan migration looks rather dubious. People in Uttarkhand, Himachal, Jammu and Kashmir are generally fairer compared to people of the Indo-Gangetic plains and thus it looks very dubious they spread in Himalayas via Indo-Gangetic plains due to some Aryan migration.
Many people even in the Gangetic plain have fair color, not that all are dark-hued. Fair color in not an exclusive IE attribute.

Last edited:
Oct 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
What an ill informed post which is unsurprising since it comes from a banned troll.
First off the people of Buddhas birthplace today speak Awadhi, not any "Bihari" language. Secondly "Bihar" is a British creation like UP and MP and an amalgamation of three main regions (Bhojpur, Magadh and Mithila). Bhojpur and Mithila have barely any tribals and have always been inhabited by IA people especially Mithila which has long been a centre of Brahmanical learning.

And what do you mean by "resemble people of the region today"? Like I said there are three groups of people.
It is true that Bihar is not a distinct ethno-linguistic region like Gujarat, Maharashtra, or Bengal, but it is not a British creation. As a political/administrative region, Bihar is actually one of the oldest in the Indian subcontinent. Even in the 16th century, Bihar as a province of the Mughal empire had borders that were almost identical to those of modern Bihar (before the creation of Jharkhand in 2000), and Patna was the administrative center just as it is now. Here is a map showing the approximate boundaries of Mughal provinces during Akbar's reign:

Bihar was one of the very first provinces to come under British control (in the 1760s), and the British largely preserved the old boundaries. In contrast, the state of UP is truly a British creation, as it was formed in 1902 without any historical precedent.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Bihar was one of the very first provinces to come under British control (in the 1760s), and the British largely preserved the old boundaries. In contrast, the state of UP is truly a British creation, as it was formed in 1902 without any historical precedent.
Bihar as a distinct province only came up in 1936. Bihar and Orissa were the part of Bengal presidency until 1911. Bengal presidency constituted the land British annexed until the Battle of Buxar, beyond that the region were constituted into United Provinces. In 1905, British constituted West Bengal, Bihar and Orissa as the separate Hindu majority province separating it from Muslim majority East Bengal leading to widespread protest against dividing the Bengali people on religious lines. Besides, the people in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar or Madhya Pradesh shares a common linguistic identity with Hindi, unlike other state there was never a feeling for uniting Bhojpuri belt of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh or Bundelkhand divided between Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.

Last edited:
Dec 2018
Coimbatore
Two branches of the Pandya dynasty migrated to Kerala. One is the Pandalam Kingdom where Swamy Ayyappa is said to be born. The other is Poonjar palace near Kottayam. Both these families have built beautiful temples for Madura Meenakshi near their palaces.

Dec 2018
Coimbatore
Two branches of the Pandya kingdom migrated to and settled in Kerala. One is the Pandalam royal family in which Swamy Ayyappa is said to be born and the other is Poonjar royal family near Kottayam.Poonjar has a beautiful temple of Madurai Meenakshi near the palace. Both these families consider Meenakshi as their Paradevata.

Similar History Discussions