The developed world dilemma?

Fantasus

Ad Honorem
Jan 2012
Northern part of European lowland
Many developed economies observe "plateau" of their development level; that usually means there are still spaces for improvements.
Disparity, the condition of First Nations and Inuits in Canada, city decays, and "rust belts" are among the few issues with developed economies.
Urban sprawl vs upgrades of previously developed area is a consistent debate.
We may well agree those so called "developed" societie s are often very far from being perfect. The next question is though if more "development" is a universal solution. Or could some developi g be in the wrong direction?

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
We may well agree those so called "developed" societie s are often very far from being perfect. The next question is though if more "development" is a universal solution. Or could some developi g be in the wrong direction?
The so-called "developed" world is far from perfect; then, what is to do about it?
Do we need to sacrifice all of our current quality of life? Probably not.
Even in the developed world, people have different socio-economic level; we have kept too many junks anyway.
We can focus on a few things at individual level:
1) Reduce possessions or keeping of junks; this is why I don't like collection as a hobby. "Take nothing but experience".
2) Donate underused or used items. Items can have "second life".
3) Repair and extend the lifespan of items; throw away economy isn't environmentally friendly at all.
4) My old Buddhist online friend talked about his attitudes about animals: Not keeping nor killing. I don't deny the companionship of pets here, though.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
If many young Americans have lost their desire to live, perhaps it is because they have no sense of hope? It wasn't that long ago in America that milestones occurred in stages that were chronologically differentiated. Today, it seems as if many youth, before they even reach adulthood, have experienced most of the adult milestones that previous generations use to anticipate: sex, drugs, alcohol, possessions such as their own car, etc. Combine that with an incessant push for these youth to succeed academically from the time they can barely talk, and what you have is a situation where most young adults never really had the chance to be children, then adults in a proper order. I have seen 18 year olds who already "burned out." And without any sense of hope it is rather disparaging for many.

Sep 2015
Australia
Perhaps some of it is because the younger generations of the Anglosphere/Western-Europe have nothing left to feel truly proud of.
The concept of Nationalism and Patriotism has been destroyed by the rise of the left and the nanny state.
The family unit is dying and marriage is now considered a joke to probably the majority of men under the age of 35.

All that is left is just individualism, hedonism and consumerism.

The previous generations put man on the moon and launched the Voyager 1 spacecraft.

What is the new generation accomplishing? Gay marriage, non-binary gender classifications and safe spaces.
If that is Gen Y's contribution than yeah that is pretty depressing.

Feb 2017
Minneapolis
Perhaps some of it is because the younger generations of the Anglosphere/Western-Europe have nothing left to feel truly proud of.
The concept of Nationalism and Patriotism has been destroyed by the rise of the left and the nanny state.
The family unit is dying and marriage is now considered a joke to probably the majority of men under the age of 35.

The previous generations put man on the moon and launched the Voyager 1 spacecraft.

What is the new generation accomplishing? Gay marriage, non-binary gender classifications and safe spaces.
Little of what you say makes any sense to me. I'm an American, proud of my country and willing to do my duty for it. But my pride is tempered by the knowledge that the U.S. is far from perfect and has been responsible for some shameful things. Does that mean my patriotism has been "destroyed?"

A big part of why I'm proud of my country, why it is worth fighting for, is its dedication to liberty. That we have the strength as a culture to allow people to marry who they wish is one of the things that makes the country something to be proud of.

Fantasus

Ad Honorem
Jan 2012
Northern part of European lowland

There is still made a lot of science, probably fully comparable to the moon landing and Voyager, if not more. There was a lot complaining about the times and mentality of the 60´s then and later. For every generation or decade or year in over 100 years there would always be those who only saw decay and negative trends. 100 years ago? Great war between all major European countries, rebellions, revolutions. 1920-1940? All crisis, rise of Fascism, Nazism and other isms. 1945-1989? While living standards rised there was the deadly rivalry between superpowers, including proxy wars. Neither parts of Europe fully capable of deciding their own way, more or less in hand of superpowers. Did any "traditional" or "Christian" values rule all this time? forget it. Those ages were full of conflicts not only between countries but also inside.

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal

The prior generation made things like global warming and destroyed the young generation in their "neoliberal" policies that contributed to the largest economic recession since 1929, and we also have the outsourcing of jobs that the prior generation did in most Western countries... So yeah...blaming everything to people that barely achieved their adulthood and their full potential is very convenient...

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
The prior generation made things like global warming and destroyed the young generation in their "neoliberal" policies that contributed to the largest economic recession since 1929, and we also have the outsourcing of jobs that the prior generation did in most Western countries... So yeah...blaming everything to people that barely achieved their adulthood and their full potential is very convenient...
Baby boomers and X-era are usually more responsible for our current plight than millennials, who have barely reached adulthood.
We are automating many of our industries, so outsourcing isn't the only issue.
Some people consider 30s or 40s as old; we usually only reach our full potential by this time.

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Baby boomers and X-era are usually more responsible for our current plight than millennials, who have barely reached adulthood.
We are automating many of our industries, so outsourcing isn't the only issue.
Some people consider 30s or 40s as old; we usually only reach our full potential by this time.
Working men generally reach their higher positions of power and higher income during their late 40s and 50s...if you are a professional, CEO or holding public office, you reach your potential possibly in your 60s...

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
In my humble opinion, on the subject
It's a question that has no answer
We can only come up with answers, but what answer will be correct for the question that is asked.

( Opinions are opinions I gave my )