the diagnosis of Gender Disphoria

Status
Closed
Nov 2010
Bordeaux
Identity politics. When one has a political party that exists to break everyone down into their cultural identity, then claim they are champion of that culture, they need an ever growing list of oppressed peoples they can champion. They essentially finished with homosexuals, so what's next on the list? Scary, is what's next on the list after this?

The ideological insanity is not just related to elected officials, a large growing part of population are believers. Since it came from academia, those places have to be the most ardent worshipers, which includes medical organizations like the American Psychiatric Association, which must toe the line and be just as politically correct as the rest of their fellow acolytes, or they face retribution in the form of denunciation (being denounced publicly as non-believers, made easier with internet and social media, suffering not only scorn but destruction of their professional career).
This has started to happen here (France) also.
Various groups advocating such identity politics have invaded the public sphere and are getting air time on television, radio, papers, as well as support from a growing number of self-appointed "progressist" journalists. And of course, it has also infiltrated French academic life, so now we also have "gender studies" and there is also a growing injunction to produce academic works through the prism of gender etc.
An investigation even showed recently that American influence groups are actively supporting French identitarian groups, demanding social recognition etc, based on the American multi-culturalist approach, an approach that conflicts with the very core of French political philosophy and psyche.

They have been doing the same with French secularism, or "Laïcité", for a long time.
I remember that more than 20 years ago, when an extension of the 1905 Church-State Separation law was discussed and passed in Parliament, Madeleine Albright, the then US Secretary of State, had called French President Jacques Chirac to complain about it, saying that it was an oppressive law etc.
Chirac politely told her to F. off and mind her own business. The nerve of these people is unbelievable.

Last edited:

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Everyone has an agenda of some kind! But Peterson's discussions of biblical texts have very little to do with his criticisms of postmodernist academic trends, and his interpretations of religious matters are very Jungian in nature (i.e. he psychologizes everything while remaining very ambigous about whether psychological states with a religious reference have any objective correlate); I suspect that you are misinterpreting his position and beliefs on the basis of a mistaken idea that he is pushing a standard religious agenda.
Jordan Peterson is one of the most annoying people on the internet. few people are easy to misconstrue, few take in such confusing techo/pyscho babble of nothingless less clearly.
If you think this is hyperbole go watch the youtube video of him defining truth. Basically whatever is personally most advnatgageuos at the time is truth. No less useful defeinition of truth can be found, and no one advocating that as some defenition of truth can be trusted.

The Canadian bar association published a letter complaining about his mis characterization of the Canadian legislation. He continues to do so. He has no interest in basic honesty.

He also hangs out with suports alt right/white supremaists type son the Internet. people like Stefan Molyneux a white surmreamist crackpot. (see his video of why the Roman empire fell if you wnat one of the most boring and wrongest videos on the intenetm a crime againast history and logic)

He's clever. But he talks in circles, babble of cliches and says almost nothing interesting.
People like him because he gives an intellectual veneer to disliking and complaining about certain groups of people,.
Magizine program talk show presentators have never been overly smart of think on their feet. he tends to chop them up but like tha's any achievement at all.

Reactions: Menshevik

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Jordan Peterson is one of the most annoying people on the internet. few people are easy to misconstrue, few take in such confusing techo/pyscho babble of nothingless less clearly.
If you think this is hyperbole go watch the youtube video of him defining truth. Basically whatever is personally most advnatgageuos at the time is truth. No less useful defeinition of truth can be found, and no one advocating that as some defenition of truth can be trusted.

The Canadian bar association published a letter complaining about his mis characterization of the Canadian legislation. He continues to do so. He has no interest in basic honesty.

He also hangs out with suports alt right/white supremaists type son the Internet. people like Stefan Molyneux a white surmreamist crackpot. (see his video of why the Roman empire fell if you wnat one of the most boring and wrongest videos on the intenetm a crime againast history and logic)

He's clever. But he talks in circles, babble of cliches and says almost nothing interesting.
People like him because he gives an intellectual veneer to disliking and complaining about certain groups of people,.
Magizine program talk show presentators have never been overly smart of think on their feet. he tends to chop them up but like tha's any achievement at all.
"But he talks in circles, babble of cliches and says almost nothing interesting." Usual vague abuse, I have watched quite a few of his videos and would disagree (and having a higher degree in philosophy and having lectured on the subject, I think I'm able to recognize when someone is spouting nonsense). Similarly, your presentation of his notion of truth is a grotesque misrepresentation. Now I have no special brief for Peterson, and I am wary of his psychological approach to philosophical questions, but I find rants like that this that are directed against him to be simply bizarre, since he is plainly a highly intelligent and thoughtful man who thinks as he talks and often comes up with striking and unexpected insights. But then, if this is your idea of how to criticize someone for empty thought, "few take in such confusing techo/pyscho babble of nothingless less clearly", I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised.

Inevitable accusations of being a Nazi, apparently because he has spoken with Stefan Molyneux. I find this kind of thing really tedious, because it is what he actually said to him that matters.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
"But he talks in circles, babble of cliches and says almost nothing interesting." Usual vague abuse, I have watched quite a few of his videos and would disagree (and having a higher degree in philosophy and having lectured on the subject, I think I'm able to recognize when someone is spouting nonsense). Similarly, your presentation of his notion of truth is a grotesque misrepresentation. Now I have no special brief for Peterson, and I am wary of his psychological approach to philosophical questions, but I find rants like that this that are directed against him to be simply bizarre, since he is plainly a highly intelligent and thoughtful man who thinks as he talks and often comes up with striking and unexpected insights. But then, if this is your idea of how to criticize someone for empty thought, "few take in such confusing techo/pyscho babble of nothingless less clearly", I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised..
Ahh the claim to vague authority.

You are just wrong. Peterson has a confusing ellipetic style and his definitions and common concpets like truth are so grotesque.

Inevitable accusations of being a Nazi, apparently because he has spoken with Stefan Molyneux. I find this kind of thing really tedious, because it is what he actually said to him that matters.
appeared and supported Stefan Molyneux youtube channel. You don't think supporting white spreamists crackpots is of any importance?

Reactions: Linschoten

Fox

Ad Honorem
Oct 2011
Korea
If you think this is hyperbole go watch the youtube video of him defining truth.
Could you possibly link the video in question, please? With a time mark for the definition in question, if the video is lengthy.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
"
Ahh the claim to vague authority.

You are just wrong. Peterson has a confusing ellipetic style and his definitions and common concpets like truth are so grotesque.

appeared and supported Stefan Molyneux youtube channel. You don't think supporting white spreamists crackpots is of any importance?
You are curiously lacking in self-awareness if you think that someone who writes like this is in a position to criticize anyone on matters of style. And no, he has not in fact supported Molyneux in any of his more dubious ideas, as Molyneux himself has complained:
If I don't think that it was wise for him to talk to Molyneux at all, it is merely because it would lay him open to misrepresentation from empty-headed people like you. :)

Reactions: aggienation

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Could you possibly link the video in question, please? With a time mark for the definition in question, if the video is lengthy.
That's the thing. Petersen is so long winded, so jargon laden, talks in circles, approaches thinks by redefining to mean completely different things that it's hard to have any clip that is short to cover the ground. the sheer density of his babble defies any short smapling that would really make any sense.

I mean here's two hours of long winded, dancing around without saying anything sensible.

here's a guy explaining his verison of why Peterson is wrong.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
You are curiously lacking in self-awareness if you think that someone who writes like this is in a position to criticize anyone on matters of style.
No I freely admit my problems with keyboards, attention to details, the English language, spelling , sentence structure. But one does not have to able to do something well to recognition quality in that field.
While it may cause my readers some problems (which I do often go to great pains to revise, and make it better surprising as thta may be) it; does not invalidate everything I saay, nor disqualifiy me from judgeing when sometone is talking in babble and nonsense.

Does one have to sing well to be a judge of good singing?

If I don't think that it was wise for him to talk to Molyneux at all, it is merely because it would lay him open to misrepresentation from empty-headed people like you. :)
Do you have to go with the personal abuse? It's just a waste of everyone's time.

Peterson engages with mutual promotion with Molyneux, he appears on Molyneux channel hawking his wares. He active seeking to make money off Molyneux followers.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
I fear that this entire interchange is a waste of everyone's time, and of mine in particular. So I won't prolong it.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
When you say "spoken with", do you mean shared a stage with, or had a conversation with?

Status
Closed