The Diversity Of Early African Architecture/Ruins Thread

May 2016
US
Anybody have pictures of the interiors of traditional Ashanti and Sudano Sahelian architecture? I find it hard to find interior photos, likely there aren't many I presume. I've been looking around a lot for interior shots of the buildings of many different Sub Saharan ethnic groups and primarily come up empty.

Mar 2017
London
Bondoukou, Northern Ivory Coast, 1888

Djenne

Mosque Bimtuku, Bondoukou,1890s (The National Archives UK)

Haute- Volta et Haute Cote d' Ivoire: "Quartier Indigene"

Sinematiali, Ivory Coast

Kong, Ivory Coast

Northern Nigeria

Mankessim, Central Ghana (Gold Coast Colony), Fante peoples

Entrance to the 'Afin', Yorubaland

Palace of the ruler of Korhogo, Northern Ivory Coast

Bamum, Kamerun (Cameroon)

Yoruba Doors, Ekiti Ise

Nupe Doors

Mar 2017
London
Apologies for the thumbnail sizes, uploaded using my phone. Maybe someone can quote the pics in their actual sizes and repost them.

Happy holidays everyone.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
US
I appreciate the thread.

Anyways many African cultures built cities; however very few of them were constructed by stone. In African cultures, large monuments and structures constructed of permanent and endurable material such as stone was built for spirits of the dead or the gods and meant to last for eternity, whereas large monuments and structures constructed for living yet mortal people were constructed of more temporary and perishable materials such as adobe (mud-brick) or wood.
Is this based on information gathered from interactions with African peoples or is it aligned with surviving stone monuments tending to be religious in nature (if I'm not mistaken)?

Similar History Discussions