The Duke of Wellington an alcoholic?

Apr 2014
Liverpool, England
I have just been watching a programme about the history of Fontainebleau Palace, Paris. Quite interesting, though I wonder why the English-speaking contributors tended to call it Fontainebleu, which is not the same thing at all. The last major work on the palace was done by Napoleon, whose time ran out in 1815 as explained by a French contributor. As transcribed from subtitles: “He passes the border into Belgium and faces in battle a tenacious, alcoholic English general by the name of Wellington. Napoleon is swept away and would never return to Fontainebleau.”

All right, any of us might struggle to summarize the battle of Waterloo in less than thirty words, but “a tenacious, alcoholic English general”? Admittedly, the Duke of Wellington had a lot of pubs named after him, but he held down some quite responsible positions – like prime minister. Is there any reason to suppose he had a drink problem?

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
All right, any of us might struggle to summarize the battle of Waterloo in less than thirty words, but “a tenacious, alcoholic English general”? Admittedly, the Duke of Wellington had a lot of pubs named after him, but he held down some quite responsible positions – like prime minister. Is there any reason to suppose he had a drink problem?
I would suggest most people of that era had a problem by todays standards. On the other hand I am not sure I would be boasting my greatest general got owned by a drunk lol

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
Wellington was a rake in his youth and had many affairs with other women while married, but I have never come across any evidence that he was an alcoholic in his army career.

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
I have never heard of Wellington having a problem with drink, think it just a petty insult for having beaten the writers hero.

May 2017
France
The intendances of the armies had allways big quantities of alcohol (wine,rhum,tafia) because the water was very dangerous,even in Vietnam and Algiers.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Maybe it was a case of lost in translation and the man wanted to say a “workaholic”!