The effects of Multi-culturalism (ASK multi-cultural countries)

Jul 2017
Europe
Multiculturalism works in countries where different people of different background live together in a country they all see as their own. Of course, in Europe, right now we have a situation of uncontrolled migrations from the Middle East and other countries in Africa and Asia due to continuous turmoils and wars in that part of the world. It is impossible to accept over a million of migrants (like Germany did) and then say look, multiculturalism don't work. Multiculturalism will only work if we allow newcomers to assimilate properly and adopt to a new society. UK is doing a great job when it comes to a good assimilation of immigrants, France as well. Of course there are groups of immigrants who simply do not want to assimilate for various reasons, and when people argue that multiculturalism in Europe do not work, they always point out to those who refuse to assimilate as an example of a broken system, but deliberately ignore the immigrants who had succeeded and are now an important group of people who contribute to society.

Germany had made a huge mistake to allow a vast number of economic migrants to enter Europe uncontrollably, without any plan whatsoever on how to assimilate them, but we can't say that multiculturalism in Europe is not working due to this recent unprecedented situation with economic migrants.

Nov 2013
Olisipo
Australia is officially a multi cultural country, with around 160 different nationalities represented..

I can only speak for myself; I have no issues with our multi cultural country, in theory or in practice. I am quite content. However, I can't
claim my attitude is even in the majority. I'm not sure if anyone really knows. I suspect the government lacks the political will to find out officially.

I am also indifferent to the idea that the Anglo-Celt majority will inevitably be replaced by other cultures, of one or several different skin hues.

Not able to comment about how this concept works/doesn't work in England or the rest of Europe, nor do I care. Imo, this an issue which must be decided by each country, by itself. IMO It is most definitely a policy which should not be imposed on the majority by the lunar left, or by the politically correct brigade.

The system seems to be working in Australia, in my city, and in my multi cultural suburb, as far a I can tell. I can't see beneath the surface.

PLUS, I most certainly do not want to return to the almost culturally homogeneous country Australia was before the abolition of The White Australia policy in 1973.

Multiculturalism in Australia is today reflected by the multicultural composition of its people, its immigration policies, its prohibition on discrimination, equality before the law of all persons, as well as various cultural policies which promote diversity, such as the formation of the Special Broadcasting Service.[1]

According to the 2011 census, 26% of the population were born overseas and a further 20% had at least one parent born overseas.[2] Aboriginal Australians make up approximately 2.5% of the population.[3] Australia's diverse migrant communities have brought with them food, lifestyle and cultural practices, which have been absorbed into mainstream Australian culture.[4][5]

Historically, Australia did not accept all persons, and adhered to the White Australia Policy. The policy was dismantled after World War II by various changes to immigration policy.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Intellectual critique
The earliest academic critics of multiculturalism in Australia were the philosophers Lachlan Chipman[17] and Frank Knopfelmacher,[18] sociologist Tanya Birrell[19] and the political scientist Raymond Sestito.[20][when?] Chipman and Knopfelmacher were concerned with threats to social cohesion, while Birrell's concern was that multiculturalism obscures the social costs associated with large scale immigration that fall most heavily on the most recently arrived and unskilled immigrants. Sestito's arguments were based on the role of political parties. He argued that political parties were instrumental in pursuing multicultural policies, and that these policies would put strain on the political system and would not promote better understanding in the Australian community.[21][22]

Multiculturalism in Australia - Wikipedia
In present times, some countries, like Australia can afford to be a Multicultural countries, and actually benefit from it. Multicultural countries and policies are a great thing when the right conditions are met, and it's what we should aspire as a global community. Unfortunately in many situations or History periods, the conditions change so drastically that they make Multiculturalism a bad thing mostly by the friction of the main diferences between every cultural, etnhic or religious, majority or minority faction within one multicultural society.

When the pressure of emmigration or the diferences between the main culture vs the emergent cultural minorities become more drastic, societies start to break apart or at least become more unstable until the main culture supresses the others again or another emergent one supercedes the main one.

It's simply unavoidable, societies need rules because human nature isn't 100% pure goodness or moral, and ressources aren' infinite. If all goes well and there is space or ressources for all, people will accept or at least tolerate minorities and majorities, if things start to fail, intolerance or indiference will become the norm in all society an cultures that are present.