The emergence of Newly Industrialized Countries

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
Newly Industrialized Countries are countries that have developed beyond the rest of the developing world;
then, the standard has not reached that of advanced economies.
This usually include:
China
India
Malaysia
Indonesia
Thailand
The Philippines
Brazil
Mexico
Turkey

Note that a few developing economies with higher HDI and GNP per capita are not included.
What are special about these countries?
Do they have potentials to become advanced economies eventually?

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Weird list- Indonesia and Philippines are much less developed than all the others while India and China are full of contrasts with some areas highly developed and other areas barely developed.

Turkey, Brasil, and Mexico or probably in their own special ranking where they are actually relatively developed despite corruption and inequality.

Thailand and Malaysia I do not know enough about.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
It’s interesting to see Mexico on that list. Mexico has drug issues of course with gangs such as los zetas. The drug business is big in Mexico , production wise that is along with countries in South America Whereas in the US we are the biggest consumers of illegal narcotics in the world. So I would be interested to see how the drug money is affecting this topic. And how can a developing country such as Mexico maintain or further its development while also combating the illegal drug issue. By the way that’s not to put a spotlight in Mexico because we have illegal drug dealers right in the US as well and they are dangerous

Further I can see Turkey is on the list above. I can say that a few days ago General Jack Keane of the United States suggested that now Turkey has a stronger military compared to the United Kingdom. Even though the UK has a military budget that is about three times the size of Turkey and even though the UK has seemingly a better navy then Turkey this is what General Jack Keane had to say. I understand there is a military draft in Turkey but what I want to know is could it be that the Turkish military also provides jobs in abundance to military and Non military Turks that would be something interesting to look into.

Baldtastic

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Londinium
I can say that a few days ago General Jack Keane of the United States suggested that now Turkey has a stronger military compared to the United Kingdom. Even though the UK has a military budget that is about three times the size of Turkey and even though the UK has seemingly a better navy then Turkey this is what General Jack Keane had to say.
Do you have a source for this as I can't find one anywhere, thanks.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Do you have a source for this as I can't find one anywhere, thanks.
It was on Fox news two days ago. General Jack Keane told his opinion to the host that Turkey has a stronger military compared to the UK they were talking about NATO and a few other topics. I was surprised by what Keane had to say and so was the host of the show. But I would also like to know how many jobs the Turkish military can provide to its people. Economically speaking I think I would rather be in the UK compared to Turkey but I suppose that could go either way

Baldtastic

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Londinium
It was on Fox news radio two days ago. I don’t know if there is an article about it
All the fox news interviews I've seen have him saying that Turkey should be either kicked out of NATO and/or be held back from the F35 program but nothing else...

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
All the fox news interviews I've seen have him saying that Turkey should be either kicked out of NATO and/or be held back from the F35 program but nothing else...
He might be critical of Turkey , I actually do not know what General Jack Keane has to say about Turkey in terms of morals. I do watch Fox news but not all the time. Mostly when I’m working I will listen to Fox or CNN on XM radio

I have not seen that type of conversation you bring up above you have. Thanks for letting me know. Likewise you were not watching or listening to Fox but I was listening to Fox radio on XM when General Jack Keane said what he said.

Last edited:

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Turkey has a major drug problem—here’s how to get a handle on it

By the way we can see above that Turkey has a drug problem as well. Illegal narcotics affects society such as the United States , England and Turkey . Whether one is a developed nation or is trying to reach the top ...illegal narcotics plays a role. Like others I personally know folks in United States that have lost their jobs due to failing a drug test and that type of thing has an effect on the whole society a ripple effect if you will. All over the world jobs are effected by drug usage.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
It was on Fox news two days ago. General Jack Keane told his opinion to the host that Turkey has a stronger military compared to the UK they were talking about NATO and a few other topics. I was surprised by what Keane had to say and so was the host of the show. But I would also like to know how many jobs the Turkish military can provide to its people. Economically speaking I think I would rather be in the UK compared to Turkey but I suppose that could go either way
If we talk about meaningful power than I agree that Turkey has a stronger military than the U.K. but I would bet he said that Turkey has a stronger army than the U.K. which is definitely true.

If U.K. Air Force and Navy are added then it is really close but the U.K. has very little capability to project power with their fleet as they have almost only helicopters with the rest of the Royal Air Force flying out of U.S. and allied based and so simply on the merits of capabilities to make a difference Turkey is probably much more powerful than the U.K. in reality even if the U.K. Air Force is definitely superior.

Reactions: JoanOfArc007