The European Union.

Nov 2006
Sitting in a wheelie chair.
I was just curious on your guys' take on the EU. I myself am all for it. Just without the Turks, they are an Asian country and shouldn't be apart of the European Union.

Sep 2006
Korea (but I'm American!)
It's trying to expand way too fast. It's trying to move toward political unity too fast as well. They need to take the whole European Project much slower or they're going to risk a backlash.

Jul 2006
Hellas
First i want to say that i have nothing against Turkey.

The EU was a true an great step to unite Europe in one single strong state leaving behind the experience and hate cause from the 2 WW. A model for liberty of speech and thought.

As Greek i must say that Turkey is maybe a historical opponent but this way of thinking leads nowhere.

It's in our best interest a civilized and democratic Turkey, so although i can understand your feelings you can't leave a country like Turkey in a state of hostility against Europe.

Nick

Historum Emeritas
Jul 2006
UK
It's a good idea but we need to stand up for ourselves more if a proposal's not in our best interest.

Jul 2006
Hellas
^^Allow me to ask you what do you mean exactly when you say "best interest"?

Nick

Historum Emeritas
Jul 2006
UK
Nikd said:
If it's not good for our people or economy.
Like giving money to the EU to pay some Kraut's pension. How will we benefit?

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
U.K.
Nick said:
Nikd said:
If it's not good for our people or economy.
Like giving money to the EU to pay some Kraut's pension. How will we benefit?
How about "some Kraut" giving us money for our pensions? :)

Nick

Historum Emeritas
Jul 2006
UK
We lose more money than we gain from the EU, keeping unprofitable French farms running and accepting without question proposals that are harmful to us.

Jul 2006
Hellas
So should the EU remains a club" for few, should we deny the gifts of democracy and liberty to the rest of the world?
Remember economy was only one of the reason that made a united (after 476 a.c) Europe possible. The EU was a result of her people will to leave he and their children in peace and prosperity.
I can understand you, but the EU is made for much greater things.

Nick

Historum Emeritas
Jul 2006
UK
Nikd said:
should we deny the gifts of democracy and liberty to the rest of the world?
Yes. Some countries are unsuited to western style democracy and it would be pointless trying to impose it. Our own needs must come first.