The Extradition of Julian Assange

Status
Closed
Jul 2012
In breaking news, Julian Assange, who was recently granted political asylum by Ecuador in the face of his extradition by the UK to Sweden on sexual charges, has said he will speak outside the asylum of the Ecuadorian embassy on Sunday at 2 p.m. This is probably at the behest of the Ecuadorian government (my own assumption) because of the incredible pressure brought upon it by the government of the UK. The UK, under its Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act of 1987, can remove the diplomatic immunity status of the Ecuadorian embassy, thus allowing UK police to violate the sanctuary and arrest Mr. Assange. (Something I have never heard of in all my years. The last case of the violation of an embassy I am aware of was the taking of the American embassy in Tehran during the Carter presidency.)

The primary concern of Mr. Assange seems to be that, once handed over to Sweden on what he claims are politically motivated and trumped up charges, he will be passed on to the U.S. where he faces possible espionage charges, which may carry the death penalty. It should be noted that Bradley Manning has been held in prison for over 2 years now without trial on charges of "aiding the enemy", a capital offense (I thought the U.S. Constitution said something about a speedy and public trial--Sixth Amendment.)

Because governments do not like the public to be aware of truth, they are very sensitive to such things as Wikileaks. Refer to Machiavelli's charming little book The Prince for instructions on using lying and treachery as tools of governance. Carefully examine the words and actions of the U.S. government in the recent Gulf of Mexico oil spill for a textbook case of how truth is hidden and distorted so that tomorrow it can be business as usual. (My bet, every shrimper along the Gulf coast says, "I made more money out of the oil spill than I ever did shrimping. Hope there's another spill next year." The government knows everyone is for sale and has a price.) "Yellow cake" sounds exotic and dangerous and is a good reason to have a war. Homeland security (now who doesn't want a secure homeland?) is a great way to curtail freedom for all on an egalitarian basis. People who expose the truth are flies in the ointment to good governance.

So it seems that the sovereignty of the little country of Ecuador is not going to be respected, and because Mr. Assange would have to traverse British territory to exit that country, he would be arrested in any case. So Sunday Mr. Assange will in effect surrender to the English because little Ecuador is being put through the wringer and cannot protect him.

Espionage is a commonplace among governments. All governments spy on each other. The usual remedy when a spy is caught is to assign him persona non grata status and ship him home. But then, governments spying on each other is kept secret and what one government finds out about another is not publicized except when it is politically expedient. Mr. Assange spied and made his findings public. Whoops.

Last edited:

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Assange cannot be extradited to the USA on a capital charge, that is contrary to Swedish law; and why should it be any easier to extradite him from Sweden than it would be to extradite him from the UK? The UK has agreed to extradite him to Sweden on a sexual charge in accordance with the EU extradition agreement; he was granted bail and broke his bail by seeking refuge in the Ecuadorian Embassy. So there is no way in which the UK is going to allow him to leave the country to go to Ecuador. He will have to remain in the Ecuadorian Embassy for the indefinite future unless he agrees to go to Sweden to answer the charges that have been made against him. There is no realistic possibility of the British authorities revoking the diplomatic status of the embassy over such a minor matter, that was an empty threat, and a very foolish one. If the charges made against Assange have no foundation, they will be thrown out in the Swedish courts. Sweden has an independent court system just like the UK and USA, it is not answerable to the politicians. And I completely fail to understand in any case why Swedish politicians should want to conspire to send Assange to the USA! If he comes outside the embassy to speak, he will be arrested. It is likely that someone else will speak on his behalf. I fail to see what possible interest 'little Ecuador', that notable bastion of human rights, has in a case of extradition within the EU, beyond the the pleasure of strutting for a while on the world stage.

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
Assange did not spy on anybody. He merely published material he was given. He was not on bail when he left Sweden. He had not been charged with any offence and departed Sweden legally. Now the Swedish authorities have charged him in abstentia and issued an arrest warrant. Assange duly presented himself to police in London, was arrested imprisoned, and bailed. He had no problem returning to Sweden however he had good reason to suspect that these charges were politically motivated and would result in his being given into US custody by the Swedes. He has been given no assurance that this will not happen and we have this farce as a result.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Can someone please explain to me why the Swedes, of all people, should want to conspire to send Assange to America? The extradition has been arranged in accordance with due legal process on the basis of the EU arrangements, and Assange has lost all appeals in the British courts (unless we are to suppose that they too are working at the behest of the Americans!)

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
In fact, the US has a fast track extradition treaty with the UK, that makes it far easier to extradite people from here than from other countries, given that they don't need to present the same standard of evidence.

As far as I'm aware, the US has not made any extradition request to the UK, which they could have done when the police had him in custody.

avon

Forum Staff
May 2008
[Thread moved to Current Events - remember Chamber rules.]

The last thread on this topic was locked because it became too political for our New Year's Resolution. I'll leave this one open for the moment, but please keep mindful of the 'no politics' rule.

Bish

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
Just been watching his propaganda speech from the embassy. What an absolute hypocrite. He preaches freedom of speech yet take refuge in and praises the government of a regime which has suppressed all media in its own nation.

He also praises all those South American countries which support him. Countries which all support Argentina's claim to the Falklands, including Ecuador.

Is it me, or does anyone else see a theme here.

Zeno

Ad Honoris
Jan 2010
♪♬ ♫♪♩
Anyone that manages to piss off our politicians has my sympathy . I find the rape-character assassination-spin a bit uninspired.

Status
Closed