The Falklands

Dec 2011
No conspiracy theory. Just a fact. The war gifted Thatcher the election. Perfect timing for her. No conspiracy rubbish there.
British success in the war may have gifted her the election but that was far from certain, Op Corporate was a minor miracle. But really the Tories were always going to win, even Dennis Healy described Labour's manifesto as the longest suicide note in history.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
British success in the war may have gifted her the election but that was far from certain, Op Corporate was a minor miracle. But really the Tories were always going to win, even Dennis Healy described Labour's manifesto as the longest suicide note in history.
You say that, but she was lagging behind in the polls and facing a leadership challenge. Even if the Tories survived, it wasn't certain that she would.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/apr/09/margaret-thatcher-falklands-gamble

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
I think that most Americans who followed the action in the South Atlantic were cheering for the British from day one. The antics of General Galtieri were so transparently obvious to anyone who looked. It seemed like such a transparently obvious way to “save my failing regime because I’m daring a country that has not attacked us”... truly pathetic behavior.

Jan 2015
Front Lines of the Pig War
If the claims were to be determined on the basis of the earliest settlement of the island, it would be a finely balanced issue, since the Spanish took over the French settlement in the same year as the English arrived there; but on the basis of continuous settlemt since the 1830s, I think it is reasonable to regard the Falkland Islanders as the legitimate inhabitants, and that their wishes should be the determining factor. Though a situation might have arisen in which the British government thought that it was just too expensive to protect and support them; before the conflict, it was seriously willing to consider a deal with the Argentinians.

Thank you for the link; no penguins around when I looked, I wil have to go back later!
Excellent summary of the British position Linschoten.

Jun 2012
Brazil
I think that most Americans who followed the action in the South Atlantic were cheering for the British from day one. The antics of General Galtieri were so transparently obvious to anyone who looked. It seemed like such a transparently obvious way to “save my failing regime because I’m daring a country that has not attacked us”... truly pathetic behavior.
I'm not defending Galtieri, but Argentina was searching for a war before Galtieri took power, it was a pretty crazy policy that the military junta was trying, Rafael Videla signed a invasion to Chile, but they backed down, moments to the war because the chances of a bigger continental war was a huge possibility.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
To tell you the truth, the Falklands has no economic value and is of little strategic value. The reason that the Falklands seem so important is because it was and still is a British colony, in fact the last in the world. The Argentinians viewed the island as rightfully theirs since when you look at a map the Falklands are right off mainland Argentina, in fact 250 miles off of Argentina and 7700 miles away from UK.
LOL. I guess “rightfully theirs” means that by being “close”, that ownership should devolve on the neighbor. NOT. Kindly explain how the islands of St Pierre and Miquelon at the mouth of the St Lawrence Seeaway between te US and Canada has belonged to France since the 17th century.

Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
There was wider diplomatic/political reason to defend the Falklands. If a major power,, however reduced in circumstances allowed a tin-pot dictatorship to grab its territory by force without reaction, what was (in 1983) to stop China wasting time on negotiation and just have the PLA walk into Hong Kong the next day (while the banks still had cash and gold in their vaults) or Spain to do the same in Gibraltar. Maybe India fancied Diego Garcia , Turkey would love to re-claim the Greek Adriatic islands off of its coast and maybe the Southern half of Cyprus too. China has enough claims along its borders and in the South China Sea to keep half of Asia awake at nights.