The fate of Puerto Rico, the Philippines, Guam, and Spain's other colonies had the Spanish-American War never occurred?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What would have been the fate of Puerto Rico, the Philippines, Guam, and Spain's other colonies had the Spanish-American War never occurred (for instance, due to the USS Maine sinking in US waters rather than in Cuban waters--thus not resulting in a massive US outcry in favor of war with Spain in 1898)?

@johnincornwall As our resident Spain expert, do you have any thoughts on this? ;)

Feb 2014
Miami
I wonder if japan would have tried to support the Philippine separatists and took over the colony for themselves especially after being emboldened by the sino Japanese war?

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I wonder if japan would have tried to support the Philippine separatists and took over the colony for themselves especially after being emboldened by the sino Japanese war?
What time frame are you thinking of here?

Also, Yes, I previously wondered about this as well. I do wonder if Japan would have preferred an independent Philippines or a Japanese Philippines colony, though.

Feb 2014
Miami
What time frame are you thinking of here?

Also, Yes, I previously wondered about this as well. I do wonder if Japan would have preferred an independent Philippines or a Japanese Philippines colony, though.
I would probably think time frame after 1905, after Russia is humiliated and Japan acquires Korea too. The Triple intervention did force Japan to forfeit some of their gains from China in 1895. Japan may be hesitant to challenge a European power until it utterly humiliated Russia.

I could see Japan prefer an independent Philippines like it did for an independent Manchuria. Japan was a great puppet master.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I would probably think time frame after 1905, after Russia is humiliated and Japan acquires Korea too. The Triple intervention did force Japan to forfeit some of their gains from China in 1895. Japan may be hesitant to challenge a European power until it utterly humiliated Russia.

I could see Japan prefer an independent Philippines like it did for an independent Manchuria. Japan was a great puppet master.
Would the Filipinos actually be willing to be Japan's bitches, though?

Reactions: sparticulous
Feb 2014
Miami
Would the Filipinos actually be willing to be Japan's bitches, though?
Unfortunately you leave me stuck. I know that the Philippines had declared their independence on June 12, 1898. IDK if they would have kept their independence; however, Spain as a weak state at this time.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Unfortunately you leave me stuck. I know that the Philippines had declared their independence on June 12, 1898. IDK if they would have kept their independence; however, Spain as a weak state at this time.
The Philippines probably won't declare their independence that soon if Spain isn't actually at war with the US, though.