The First American

Sep 2018
Edmond, Ok USA
No. The word America doesn´t belong to USA alone... it is a Continent and it was used in German maps... centuries before nobody would have heard a word about USA... because not even existed.
As easy as to see an original 16th Century map to see how the word America was not linked not even to North America!

What happened was that European prefered to name West Indies... and the rebels called their political organization "USA" but Word AMERICA nor was invented by any Yankee and didn´t make reference to any special place and of course, no way to North America.... at all.

History is what is.. not what we liked what we would have liked it to be ... High Peru.. Tierra del Fuego or Amazonia are not less AMERICA than New York or New Hampshire.

By the way I call Mexican, Canadian etc as American.. and people from USA as Yankees or North Americans.. but never americans.. because History proves... the word is not matched to New York or Vermont.. so.I think it is more correct to call Yankees or North Americans.

Holy cow. Did the IQ level of this forum drop since I've been gone?
Please Google the word, "America"
Google the word "American" You are not going to see any Mexicans or Canadians on that page. Who cares what you call people. If you call them wrong, you're wrong. But I will go ahead and advise you that you're wrong.

You can call Americans Yankees if you want, but you'll like piss off anyone that lives in the southern United States if you do.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Google the word "American" You are not going to see any Mexicans or Canadians on that page. Who cares what you call people. If you call them wrong, you're wrong. But I will go ahead and advise you that you're wrong.

You can call Americans Yankees if you want, but you'll like piss off anyone that lives in the southern United States if you do.
And from when "Google" is a source? Google is nothing... and I am not wrong... America is a Continent.. not a country... and it was written on a map showed South Hemisphere...not Northern one...

So. you are talking about the First Yankee, or the First citizen of United States....but not the first American... save if it a private Club or something like that...I repeat again.. History can´t be changed... America is from Tierra del Fuego to Alaska...so it was in 1507 and so it is in 2019.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
No one is going to asked a Mexican or a Canadian, "Are you an American?" And if they do, they are asking them are they a citizen of the United States of American.

But, thanks for deviating my thread and not contributing to the question at hand, which is the founding of this thread. I have been a member of this forum since around 2006-07 and had to create a new identify due to the new transition of the forum. It has been some time since I posted on here. Your response is a fine example of why I stopped coming back here to post silly and irrelevant, but sometimes entertaining questions.
This sounds curious. And I'm curious.

" I have been a member of this forum since around 2006-07 and had to create a new identify due to the new transition of the forum."

Why? Because of technical problems?

Reactions: Congo

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Hey Congo! It has been a while. Still in the drilling business?

There was only one remaining signer of the Declaration of Independence still alive when Adams and Jefferson died, Charles Carroll of Carrollton. Carroll certainly was not sufficiently distinguished to inherit the title. If the title cannot sit vacant until Lincoln assumes it, then either Monroe of John Quincy Adams appear to prime candidates.

Eli Whitney would have been a strong contender but he had bad timing.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Google the word "American" You are not going to see any Mexicans or Canadians on that page.
The real problem is that, tho this is an English speaking forum, it's full of people that aren't not Americans (as in US citizens), nor Englishmen, nor Aussies.

So if they google-it, they will not have the results You have on your English language Google (I don't even get into duck-duck-go-it, or yandex-it, or quant-it ...).

In sum: You might consider the "vague" possibility that it might not the IQ level dropping the only explanation.

It might be that others do not see things like You, they might have another perspective. A perspective that it might be not better than Yours, nor worse than Yours. Just another one.

Not everyone posting in English has to see things as an American.

That being said, I understand Your frustration in seing Your thread "hijacked", "derailed". But it's an open forum. Meaning that one has to take into consideration the probability of "hijacking"/"derailing".

IMHO, IQ, FFS and the likes will not re-rail any thread.

Sep 2018
Edmond, Ok USA
Hey Congo! It has been a while. Still in the drilling business?

There was only one remaining signer of the Declaration of Independence still alive when Adams and Jefferson died, Charles Carroll of Carrollton. Carroll certainly was not sufficiently distinguished to inherit the title. If the title cannot sit vacant until Lincoln assumes it, then either Monroe of John Quincy Adams appear to prime candidates.

Eli Whitney would have been a strong contender but he had bad timing.
YES! I knew someone would remember me!! I am not forgotten!!! :-D
Yeah, still drilling away.
Yes, the title must land on someone after the "First American" dies. So, if Benjamin Franklin was the first, George Washington the second... if we put Thomas Jefferson as the third "First American" followed by John Adams who only manages to hold the title for four hours... who is the next "First American"?

James Monroe or John Quincy Adams?.. Good choices.. Hmmm... of the two, I think James Monroe would be a better choice. Easily. Gonna look up Charles Carroll.
Abraham Lincoln
was born in 1809, so technically he could get the fifth slot of the "First American" - I actually did not realize he was born in 1809 (Adams & Jefferson dying in 1826).
I would hate to see the slot taken up from 1826 to 1865, but...

Sep 2018
Edmond, Ok USA
" I have been a member of this forum since around 2006-07 and had to create a new identify due to the new transition of the forum."
Why? Because of technical problems?
Yah, while I love the new style of the forum (much needed change) - you guys had some issue which required me to log in (or something to that affect). The email I used for my original account is no longer active and since I didn't remember what it was or remember the password, I was stuck.
I created an account (Black Viper) with my email account and told someone about the situation. I think they said I was SOL.
So, I had to start from scratch with this one.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
YES! I knew someone would remember me!! I am not forgotten!!! :-D
Yeah, still drilling away.
Yes, the title must land on someone after the "First American" dies. So, if Benjamin Franklin was the first, George Washington the second... if we put Thomas Jefferson as the third "First American" followed by John Adams who only manages to hold the title for four hours... who is the next "First American"?

James Monroe or John Quincy Adams?.. Good choices.. Hmmm... of the two, I think James Monroe would be a better choice. Easily. Gonna look up Charles Carroll.
Abraham Lincoln
was born in 1809, so technically he could get the fifth slot of the "First American" - I actually did not realize he was born in 1809 (Adams & Jefferson dying in 1826).
I would hate to see the slot taken up from 1826 to 1865, but...
So you don't like Andrew Jackson? He wasn't president yet in 1826, but he was already a national hero. Can a person be the first American if they haven't established their claim yet? Can Lincoln be the first American already in 1826 or does he have to wait until he becomes great?

Sep 2018
Edmond, Ok USA
The real problem is that, tho this is an English speaking forum, it's full of people that aren't not Americans (as in US citizens), nor Englishmen, nor Aussies.
So if they google-it, they will not have the results You have on your English language Google (I don't even get into duck-duck-go-it, or yandex-it, or quant-it ...).
In sum: You might consider the "vague" possibility that it might not the IQ level dropping the only explanation.
It might be that others do not see things like You, they might have another perspective. A perspective that it might be not better than Yours, nor worse than Yours. Just another one.
Not everyone posting in English has to see things as an American.

That being said, I understand Your frustration in seing Your thread "hijacked", "derailed". But it's an open forum. Meaning that one has to take into consideration the probability of "hijacking"/"derailing".
IMHO, IQ, FFS and the likes will not re-rail any thread.
I stand corrected. :-D
Its been some time since I've been active on a open forum.
I will try another method to "re-rail" this thread. :-D

Sep 2018
Edmond, Ok USA
So you don't like Andrew Jackson? He wasn't president yet in 1826, but he was already a national hero. Can a person be the first American if they haven't established their claim yet? Can Lincoln be the first American already in 1826 or does he have to wait until he becomes great?
Excellent point. I think you are right. We should pick the person AT THAT MOMENT OF DEATH of the "First American" that has impacted the United States the most. Andrew Jackson seems like a very logical choice. If so, he'd carry that title from 1826 to 1845.