The First American

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
America for me is a continent.
North Central and South with several countries, the North American is not more American than of a country of the South Argentina Brazil etc. for me they are all americans, similar europe or africa etc. continents with several countries.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
America for me is a continent.
North Central and South with several countries, the North American is not more American than of a country of the South Argentina Brazil etc. for me they are all americans, similar europe or africa etc. continents with several countries.
And not only for you.. Also for the human fraud was Americo Vespuccio... and for the man invented the word, Martin Waldseemüller. Only because a group of rebels took the word... 270 years later doesn´t mean the words have changed the meaning... America is a continent.. from Tierra del Fuego to Alaska...

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
But, thanks for deviating my thread and not contributing to the question at hand, which is the founding of this thread. I have been a member of this forum since around 2006-07 and had to create a new identify due to the new transition of the forum. It has been some time since I posted on here. Your response is a fine example of why I stopped coming back here to post silly and irrelevant, but sometimes entertaining questions.
Even if that “thanks” seemed ironic, and the irony quite unnecessary, as well as other later IQ comments, especially after I presented to you my apologies, I would like to say welcome back, and I am saying this without any irony. If I am not mistaken, I recall that your previous avatar was a picture of the “A Clockwork Orange” main character.

Trying to not extend myself much out of the topic you intend to put here, I also must say that the thread title “The First American”, led me really to think about the ones I mentioned in my the first post here and noticed that the terminology, while often in plural is widely used in English: The First Americans or When, How Did the First Americans Arrive? It’s Complicated. or other regarding that theme.

For my part, I think that I already said enough about the subject that derailed the thread, and the issue was also pointed out by other members, and I consider that Wikipedia as an entry that explains this well enough: American (word) - Wikipedia

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
I read that the name of Amerigo Vespucci belongs to USA because this country is the oldest still existent in the western hemisphere with the largest population on the continents northern and southern with this name. The language is English, their language, so they can call themselves what ever they want and because of cultural influence of this country over the world, most of the foreigners follow the suit.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
I read that the name of Amerigo Vespucci belongs to USA because this country is the oldest still existent in the western hemisphere with the largest population on the continents northern and southern with this name. The language is English, their language, so they can call themselves what ever they want and because of cultural influence of this country over the world, most of the foreigners follow the suit.
The name of Americo Vespuccio doesn´t belong to USA because it is not a pattern and because America Vespuccio had any kind of relation with USA (that not even existed) or with nothing matched to USA.
Yes it is the oldest political organization still existent in American Continent.... well, they can call themselves as they want.. but they CAN´T change history.. sorry very much but they didn´t.... America is a Continent.

if Tomorrow China is call to itsel as Asian Republic... don´t mean Asian are only Chinese.

By your information... Americo Vespuccio died in Seville, Spain, February 22nd, 1512... not in Vermont.. and not in New York... by the way... How largest was New York on February 22nd, 1512?

Can you link here the "relations" between Americo Vespuccio, the florentine sailor at the service of the Crown of Spain and sometimes of the Kingdom of Portugal with USA?

When Americo Vespuccio... a fraud and very mediocre sailor... was at service of United States? In 1512? In 1502? Maybe in 1498? When he visited USA... maybe in 1500?

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
You know, it really is possible to use words and names in different senses in different contexts, we do it the whole time; and everyone will continue to refer to natives of the USA as Americans, and their country as the USA, because there is no single word alternative (in English at least).

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
You know, it really is possible to use words and names in different senses in different contexts, we do it the whole time; and everyone will continue to refer to natives of the USA as Americans, and their country as the USA, because there is no single word alternative (in English at least).
Ok but you know you can´t take the part by the whole.... in Spanish is easier. they are "estadounidenses" (unitedstaters)..."americanos" are people from America... means from Tierra del Fuego to Alaska and Canada.

First American can be from every place.

Similar History Discussions