The first government/s and entire evolution of governments to the newest most up to date starting from the Neolithic era to today in the entire world?

May 2015
Texas
Hi, would like to know all of these governments and all these government's forms in chronological order or from first to last for each historical Era based all over the world from the first civilizations to most recent. what are these governments called? I do already have a basic rough draft in my mind but I want to be accurate and not miss anything. here is the rough draft, am I right?, is there anything I missed or left out?

Neolithic era: 1. tyranny at some point
second era: 1. theocratic tyranny 2. theocratic monarchy/dynasty
third era: 1.theocratic tyranny. 2.theocratic monarchy/dynasty 3. theocratic oligarchy
fourth era or classical era: 1. theocratic tyranny 2. theocratic monarchy/dynasty 3. theocratic oligarchy 4. theocratic democracy 5. theocratic republic.
middle ages: 1. theocratic monarchy/dynasty 2. absolute monarchy
renaissance era: 1. theocratic absolute monarchy
industrial era, revolutionary era or age of enlightment where government is separated from religion/state religion in many countries: 1. republic 2. democracy 3. theocratic absolute monarchy still in other countries in the middle east and Africa 4. tyranny or dictatorship 5.oligarchy
modern era to present day: 1. democracy 2. republic 3. oligarchy 4. tyranny or dictatorship 5. theocratic absolute monarchy still in some countries.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
The earliest government was probably pure democracy, where the entire community of maybe ten or fifteen adults would get together and talk about the issues of the day until they arrived at a consensus. Tyranny only came along when society grew too large for everyone to participate in government so that now some people ruled while other people were ruled.

Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
For the middle ages you are missing the elective monarchy. Examples are the kings of Poland (at first by a small council, then by the szlachta), the kings of Germany (mostly by the electors, but for example 936 even the local people were involved) and the kings of Sweden (at least initially). Additional the emperors of the Holy Roman Empire come to mind.

Also republics started earlier than the Industrial Era, e.g. the farmers of Dithmarschen had a republic.

Additional there are territories which were organized like a cooperative, e.g. Friedberg or the lands of frisian freedom.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Hi, would like to know all of these governments and all these government's forms in chronological order or from first to last for each historical Era based all over the world from the first civilizations to most recent. what are these governments called? I do already have a basic rough draft in my mind but I want to be accurate and not miss anything. here is the rough draft, am I right?, is there anything I missed or left out?

Neolithic era: 1. tyranny at some point
second era: 1. theocratic tyranny 2. theocratic monarchy/dynasty
third era: 1.theocratic tyranny. 2.theocratic monarchy/dynasty 3. theocratic oligarchy
fourth era or classical era: 1. theocratic tyranny 2. theocratic monarchy/dynasty 3. theocratic oligarchy 4. theocratic democracy 5. theocratic republic.
middle ages: 1. theocratic monarchy/dynasty 2. absolute monarchy
renaissance era: 1. theocratic absolute monarchy
industrial era, revolutionary era or age of enlightment where government is separated from religion/state religion in many countries: 1. republic 2. democracy 3. theocratic absolute monarchy still in other countries in the middle east and Africa 4. tyranny or dictatorship 5.oligarchy
modern era to present day: 1. democracy 2. republic 3. oligarchy 4. tyranny or dictatorship 5. theocratic absolute monarchy still in some countries.
You left out Constitution Monarchy (Westminster system)

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I am not sure I follow your objection. It is clearly a transitional form of government between Absolute Monarchy and a Republic style government
Well, if you look at the UK, it is a constitutional monarchy, but the system of government is a parliamentary democracy. You could, in theory, have a constitutional monarchy with another type of government, e.g. WW2 Italy, pre-modern Japan.

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
The earliest government was probably pure democracy, where the entire community of maybe ten or fifteen adults would get together and talk about the issues of the day until they arrived at a consensus. Tyranny only came along when society grew too large for everyone to participate in government so that now some people ruled while other people were ruled.
I am unsure if democracy would be the first government.

It is at least as likely that the first government was despotic, led by the strongest, or oldest, or best hunter, or best gatherer, or loudest or whatever other trait that was sufficient to earn the respect, trust and faith of the tribe.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Well, if you look at the UK, it is a constitutional monarchy, but the system of government is a parliamentary democracy..
But the ruler in that system retains the right to dismiss a Prime Minister or even an entire government. On the reverse side that same Monarch only rules at the pleasure of the people.

Similar History Discussions