The first Muslim dynasty of Kashmir was established by Swatis of Tajik-Afghan roots

Feb 2014
Asia
Azad67 said:
I have entire book about Gabaris with me and no person by name of 'Kohjaman Hindu' appears in it.
Then please give the name of the kings of Swat from 13th and 14th century and more importantly how Shah Mir was related to them.
Azad67 said:
Gabri is classified as an Iranian language
Gabar is just another name for Zoroastrians in Persian and Gabari is language used by them. The word "Gabar" itself comes from Arabic kāfir, meaning “infidel.” :- Gabars

Also, the word "Kafir" was almost used an ethnonym for Dardic and Nuristani people. It was just a century back when Afghan ruler Abdur Rahman Khan changed the name from Kafiristan to Nuristan.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Then please give the name of the kings of Swat from 13th and 14th century and more importantly how Shah Mir was related to them.
Welcome back, mnsr. Why don't you use Wikipedia for quick reference? Find it here: Swat (princely state) - Wikipedia
Edit: The history of Swat during 13/14th century is not given in Wikipedia. Perhaps today's Pakistan does not want to remember that Swat was ruled by Akhunds. It is a Pakistani page. ;)

Last edited:
Jul 2017
Sydney
This thread finally explains the riddle that I've been struggling with for a while

I've always wondered why the British went around telling quite a few people that they were descendants of Alexander

They've spread these rumors in parts of Afghanistan, in parts of Himachal Pradesh and it now appears even in J&K and neighbouring areas (Swat)

So, its this legend of Sikander Zulqarnain that appears responsible

I would actually favor @Azad67 initial estimate of this personage being either Cyrus or some Afghan (perhaps Yousufzai) because genetics doesn't support any Greek lineage for either Kalash or any other of these supposed descendants

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
The Greeks remained in the former North-West India and died here, ruled there for some centuries, gene mix-ups must have occurred. That is why Kushana sculptures show Greek influence.
"The Indo-Greek Kingdom or Graeco-Indian Kingdom was a Hellenistic kingdom covering various parts of Afghanistan and the northwest regions of the Indian subcontinent (parts of modern Pakistan and northwestern India), during the last two centuries BC and was ruled by more than thirty kings, often conflicting with one another." - Wikipedia

Jul 2017
Sydney
The Greeks remained in the former North-West India and died here, ruled there for some centuries, gene mix-ups must have occurred. That is why Kushana sculptures show Greek influence.
"The Indo-Greek Kingdom or Graeco-Indian Kingdom was a Hellenistic kingdom covering various parts of Afghanistan and the northwest regions of the Indian subcontinent (parts of modern Pakistan and northwestern India), during the last two centuries BC and was ruled by more than thirty kings, often conflicting with one another." - Wikipedia
Hi @Aupmanyav

Nothing like that has happened. I'm sharing a report with you privately as we don't discuss genetics here. Its by a pretty good researcher called Qasim Ayub who has done a lot of work on Pakistani and Afghani populations

The Greek influence could rather be a result of trade contacts and also via Indus valley kings, who had armies in Oman even in 300 BC (archeologically proved)

Ancient tomb discovery reveals traces of Indus Valley civilization in Oman

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Nothing like that has happened.
I doubt. ;) That won't be natural (given that they ruled that area for some 200 years).
Oman find is very recent (with reference to IVC). Just around Alexander's time (300 BCE). Indian goods in Oman - so what is surprising in that? We were trading with them for thousands of years.

Jul 2017
Sydney
I doubt. ;) That won't be natural (given that they ruled that area for some 200 years).
Oman find is very recent (with reference to IVC). Just around Alexander's time (300 BCE). Indian goods in Oman - so what is surprising in that? We were trading with them for thousands of years.
Not just Indian goods but the warlord bearing them as well is Indian as per Oman folklore