The Forgotten Theatres of the Napoleonic Wars

Feb 2019
Serbia
Many interesting campaigns and theaters of the Napoleonic Wars such as the Walcheren Expedition, the Atlantic Campaign of 1806, the British landings at Rio de La Plata, the campaigns in the Indian ocean, the Mediterranean Theatre after Trafalgar, the Baltic theater, the Anglo-Turkish war, the British blockade of France and several others are often overlooked or straight up forgotten despite their significance or size, why is this? As a bonus, which of the ''forgotten'' campaigns do you think was the most significant?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I am not really certain if it counts, but the First Serbian Uprising was definitely influenced by the events of the Napoleonic Wars and the uprising's failure was pretty much due to Napoleon.

Feb 2019
Serbia
I would addalso the Russo Turkish war and the Russo Swedish war, the insurrections in Southern Italy and the italian campaigns duringthe fifth and sixth calitions
I can't believe I forgot the Russo-Turkish and the Russo-Swedish wars. The Italian campaigns are also quite interesting, The Neapolitan Campaign in 1815 gets overshadowed by the Waterloo Campaign but was important to the coalition (Specifically Austria.) and is interesting to learn about as while Waterloo brought downfall to Napoleon the Neapolitan War brought downfall to Murat.

I am not really certain if it counts, but the First Serbian Uprising was definitely influenced by the events of the Napoleonic Wars and the uprising's failure was pretty much due to Napoleon.
I'm not sure if it really counts as part of the Napoleonic Wars, even if it was heavily influenced by them. Russia did fight in it and supported the Serbs but it wasn't really impactful to most of the rest of the wars. An interesting question for alternate historians is what would've happened with the revolts in Serbia and Egypt if Britain captured the Dardanelles and the Bosporus in 1807. Speaking of Egypt I would also add the Egyptian Revolt of Muhammad Ali and the British Expedition to Alexandria in 1807.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The War of the Oranges, between Portugal and Spain, with French support. The Spanish occupied the fortified village of Olivença (today is still Spanish) in what was the last change in the frontier betewn the two countries (in Europe).

The war had also consequences in South America, in what is often called the War of 1801, in the frontiers in Mato Grosso and Rio Grande do Sul.

Feb 2019
Serbia
The War of the Oranges, between Portugal and Spain, with French support. The Spanish occupied the fortified village of Olivença (today is still Spanish) in what was the last change in the frontier betewn the two countries (in Europe).

The war had also consequences in South America, in what is often called the War of 1801, in the frontiers in Mato Grosso and Rio Grande do Sul.
Is Olivenca a subject of dispute between Portugal and Spain today? I've seen a thread recently which asks why Spain doesn't return Olivenca to Portugal, its North African exclaves to Morocco and why doesn't Britain give Gibraltar to Spain. He also claimed that Olivenca was ''stolen'' in 1801, why is this annexation considered unlawful?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Is Olivenca a subject of dispute between Portugal and Spain today? I've seen a thread recently which asks why Spain doesn't return Olivenca to Portugal, its North African exclaves to Morocco and why doesn't Britain give Gibraltar to Spain. He also claimed that Olivenca was ''stolen'' in 1801, why is this annexation considered unlawful?
Not much. There is a small (quite small) Portuguese association that wants Olivença back.

In the Treaty of Paris (1814) and in Congress of Viena (1817), it was agreed and Spain compromised to turn Olivença back to Portugal, but Spain delayed until… today. With these 200 years of delay, in my opinion, it doesn’t make sense. Especially when two relations of the two country are generically good and both are members of the EU, and there are no borders. Furthermore Olivença’s inhabitants are Spanish.

Feb 2016
Japan
Russia and Britain fought a brief war around 1808-11 ... mainly Naval skirmishes and some cutting out operations.

1811 the British also took Java off the Dutch.
1795 they were operating in South Africa, 1806 they had to go back and retake Cape colony. After giving it back during the peace.

Through out the 1790s Britain prosecuted a carribean war as they picked off French, Dutch and Spanish islands. Some of these they had to take twice after giving them back during the 1802 peace. They were also unsuccessful in trying to take Haiti from the rebel slave.

The Tyroleans rebelled in 1809, fought a war against the Bavarians and French.

In 1815 French Royalists waged an anti Napoleon campaign in the Vendee. Also while the Allies and Prussians were fighting Napoleon in the North, an Austrian army was squashing the Neopolitan army.

The French war in Haiti was extremely brutal.

The Spanish and Portuguese fought the French in the Pyrenees 1795-98.

In 1815 the Nepalese and British went at it for a year or two.

The Russians had wars against the Persians, Turks and Siberian tribes

Similar History Discussions