The French March Onto Berlin in 1936

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Note: I try to limit (perhaps not very successfully, unfortunately :() how much I post on the other parts of this forum (since I don't want to anger the moderators or to take away attention from other people's threads), but I think that the speculative history section here allows for ideas and creativity to flourish. Thus, I am less restrained when I am posting in this section--and I really hope that this is OK. Basically, I just want to give this section of the forum some additional life.

Anyway, all that being said, here is my scenario:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What if, instead of only responding with force to Hitler's re-militarization of the Rhineland, the French would have also decided to overthrow Hitler and the Nazi Germany regime (regardless of what Britain thinks) right then and there?

Specifically, France would do this by marching all of the way to Berlin--possibly with the help of its Polish and/or Czechoslovak allies, if they're interested in this--and overthrowing the Nazi German government afterwards. France would then choose a new government for Germany which is more to its liking--perhaps through a restoration of democracy in Germany (but with the Nazis and Communists both being banned). Note: Germany's generals can preempt this French move by overthrowing Hitler and the Nazis; of course, if they fail, their necks are literally going to crack.

Anyway, this would be the French plan in this scenario. How do you think that this scenario would have unfolded?

Sep 2017
United States
They occupied the Rhine in 1926 if I'm not mistaken.

Not sure how it would've gone, but I don't think it would be a bad strategy to tear 'em down every time they tried to rise up.

The German people would likely be extremely angry, but with the head cut off the chicken, I don't think they'd be able to do a lot.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
In hindsight, it seems like a good idea although diplomatically it might have been a disaster unless other powers were consulted and some agreement was reached about Germany's status. If the goal was only to depose Hitler and re-establish democracy in Germany it might have worked. The stated goal would have to be to punish Germany for invading the Rhineland rather than negotiating for its (rightful) return to German full sovereignty.

Last edited: