The Future of Humanity: What is our Desired End-State?

Pacific_Victory

Ad Honorem
Oct 2011
MARE PACIFICVM
This is something I think about a lot. We all have our own opinions about whats best in government, economics, law etc.

But what are we moving towards, and what should we be trying to move towards?

It seems to me that we have no real goal, and no real way of debating the merits of different goals on a global scale.

Is it time we start discussing the future of humanity with all humans, rather than just our own nation and its allies? Should we try and put an end to nationalism and create a single global "nation" of Earth? Or should we move the other way and try to create small, peaceful, autonomous communities around the world? Or should we stick with nationalism and all its baggage?

What kind of economy and economic system do we want to live in? What kind of social system? What is the future of medicine? Cloning? Robotic labor?

Basically, this questions comes down to this: What do we want our world and our communities to look like 100 and 1,000 years in the future?

Dec 2012
Savannah, GA
Nothing, according to America's greatest satirist Kurt Vonnegut.

“I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

Louise C

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
Southeast England
I think our goal should be trying to improve life for people generally, eliminate starvation, disease, etc. i don't think eliminating natiionalism is very hopeful, unless it occurs naturally over time.

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
Basically, this questions comes down to this: What do we want our world and our communities to look like 100 and 1,000 years in the future?
There has been high pipe dreams in the past of man thinking that what he is doing
will make society as a whole, better for all. Granted some of man's
inventions have made life more comfortable and prolonged with certain
medicines, but in the end, mankind is his own worst adversary as he will
continually make war upon his brother; in the past, now and in the future.
An idyllic world would be one of understanding, compromise, no war, no starvation
and a greater tolerance of people for other people.

Pacific_Victory

Ad Honorem
Oct 2011
MARE PACIFICVM
I suppose I've always found it strange that we so often hear about the improvements being made in the world without any particular vision of what we are supposed to be improving towards.

constantine

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Our laws and social customs have essentially eliminated Darwinian natural selection from the human species. I do not think we are capable of further evolution. Since we, as a species, have failed on that front I think the best hope for our future is that we can create intelligent machines which can replace us and can once again take advantage of the power of evolution to continue to improve and evolve. Our legacy will not be our species, but our species' creations.