The Future of Iraq

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Considering that Iraq has a lot of oil, it could probably become a very wealthy country like Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, and Kuwait are. I do think that long-term political stability in Iraq would require Iraqi Sunni Arabs to feel like their concerns are being addressed, though. This could be done by including Sunni Arab parties in Iraqi governing coalition, by giving Sunni Arabs a share of Iraq's oil revenue, and/or by creating an autonomous region for Sunni Arabs in the parts of Iraq where they are the majority.
Thats a fair point. A good number of Iraqis of various religious backgrounds had a decent life under Saddam, those Iraqis have some disagreements with the modern day Iraqi Gov.

15 Years After U.S. Invasion, Some Iraqis Are Nostalgic For Saddam Hussein Era

As for Iraq relations with the so called west. Millions of Americans and Europeans of the allied forces died fighting the Third Reich and Axis powers of WW2. But today the USA is on good standing with Germany, Japan, and Italy. It makes sense today that the USA and Iraq are allies, 16 years after the US invasion of Saddams Iraq. The challenge for Iraq is can Iraq become a modern day Japan or Saudi Arabia, can Iraq become more wealthy and successful? The potential is there.

Cabinet approves Development Scheme near Baghdad Airport

Last edited:
Reactions: Futurist
Nov 2014
Birmingham, UK
I thought that things got a bit better in regards to this after Maliki's departure in 2014?
I don't know the particulars

However a little history, what I hope to be some knowledge on human nature, and some specific insight into the Sunni-Shia rivalry, suggests to me the following:

If you have an Arab country with a Shia government and a Sunni minority (or vice versa), then the government are going to dump on the minority, as long and hard as they can. Forever. I imagine the phrase in the minds of the Shia government is along the lines of having their boot on the Sunnis throats and not letting it off. Expecting anything else is dewy-eyed optimism of the most Panglossian kind in my opinion.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
Thats a fair point. A good number of Iraqis of various religious backgrounds had a decent life under Saddam, those Iraqis have some disagreements with the modern day Iraqi Gov.

15 Years After U.S. Invasion, Some Iraqis Are Nostalgic For Saddam Hussein Era
That article is a perfect example of why Iraq will remain screwed up. A biased Sunni Arab general who was of the same ethnicity as Saddam, and thus not completely screwed over as the 80-85% of non Sunni Arab Iraqis were under Saddam, has issues with the majority rule of a country his people oppressed for a millennia. And why does he have a problem? Because the new rulers are doing to him what he helped do to them previously.