The "Gilets Jaunes" in France: a revolution unfolding in front of our eyes ?

May 2017
France
Medieval battle in Paris.
Yesterday,the herald of the government,Benjamin Blaise Griveaux, was eating quietly the traditional cake,the "galette des rois",and after winning the famous crown of paper,was alerted by one of his sergeants that a crowd of peasants was marching in the direction of his strong castle."Nenni crainte mes chevaliers,our stones are strongest than their darts....".The trumpet of the besieging forces proposes to them to surrender.BBG refuses and like Blanchard in Rouen (1419) answers "I am not born in Donremy (like Jeanne d Arc) but Saint Remy,and i am sure that i will receive new troops.The problem is that the "Jacques" have recuperated on a used construction a big war belie and began to attack the strong door….The door falls under the shouts of the crowd "Victory ! Victory !".Suddenly a little band of the royal guard arrives and say to the leader of the besieged forces:"we must retreat in the island of the city,near our "bonne gendarmerie"."Just a minute" say BBG,"i want to recuperate my two books:"the elites" (2007) and "bastards of poors" (2017).

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Well the show must go on

Despite heavy handed attempts by the media to make it appear the movement had run out of steam, there is no end in sight so far

As a separate incident, one of the "leaders" (not an appropriate term as the movement has no real leaders) has been taken into custody preventively.... and eventually released... This has led to all kinds of accusations and generally was a bad move for the governmment,,, Preventive custody is supposed to be stuff that non democratic regimes do

Iraq Bruin

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
DC
So having spent the holidays in Paris including a Saturday that had no yellow jackets visibly showing up.

With me coming in from a city like DC, I could tell that there was no Christmas spirit in Paris either. (and that was confirmed by few French people I spoke to).

Having heard from some people who said they like/support the yellow jackets, they had a lot of complaints but somehow reserved compliments for people like Qaddafi and Saddam with some mocking of Sarkozy, I did not comment as it is not my concern to discuss anything about what happened; all I was thinking is "I can only imagine you doing this against those two criminals few yards away from their presidential compound(s)".

Further thinking has told me: both sides have legitimate complaints but both sides are wrong and not very sincere or honest in using these complaints, hence they deserve each other. The funny thing I learned is that there are so many taxes in France that people spend most of their time coming with creative ways to hold on to their money or as a Frenchmen told me "the same way the Greeks deal with paying taxes".

In the end, violence against people and property is not the answer and never will be.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
And it would seem that they in their turn have had enough of him and his president. Using the law against them is likely to be counterproductive; and yet on the other hand they don't have any clear or coherent aims, this is no way to conduct political 'debate'..

May 2017
France
The losses:
Killed:10 (accidents of circulation).
Gilets jaunes and assimilated (extreme left,extreme right):2000 wounded.
Forces of order:Gendarmerie Territoriale and Garde Mobile,Republicans Companies of Security (CRS):500 wounded.

May 2017
France
Others national suscriptions are opened by political men and an ex RAID,to help the wounded of the orders forces.They revendicate now the number of 1000 gendarmes and policemen wounded in two months of manifestations.It was the same number in may 1968.

May 2017
France
For the saturday 12 january 2019,the government decides to mobilize 80 000 men .One part of the leaders of the "yellow jerseys" propose to prepar the boycott of some banks and to retire money ,like in 1929 with the "run bank" (a good book of Gallbraith about this story).