The "Gilets Jaunes" in France: a revolution unfolding in front of our eyes ?

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
In three months,3100 "yellow jerseys" convoked by the justice.80 members of the National Assembly and Senate victims of violences or dégradations of their cars and houses.The house of the president of the A.N has burnt.
Well that was to be expected. In a country where summer means striking season and you target the lower to middle class specifically. You wont get the most sophisticated discussions.

Though there is still humor

May 2017
France
France is not a violent country.Since the repression of the "Commune de Paris" in may 1871,the interventions of the troops are exceptionals.
Limoges (1905):78th regiment of infantry,one dead.
Béziers-Narbonne (1907) during the wine crisis,17th regiment of infantry,six deads.Revolt of the 6th company of the regiment,"les crosses en l air".
The electoral victories of the left:1924,"the cartel des gauches",1936,"the front populaire":zero victims.
The big strikes:1936,1947:four deads,1968:zero deads.
The death of Malek Oussekine (1986) killed by the "voltigeurs" is exceptional.
The 12 death of the "yellow jerseys crisis" are in fact victims of accidents of circulation.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
My personal impression?

They don't know what to do in the weekend ... so instead of getting bored, they protest. I wonder if they are protestants ...

I will begin to consider them something serious when they will be 20,000 in Paris on Monday or Tuesday. On Saturday at Rome everybody can collect 50,000 persons without reason. So imagine at Paris.

May 2017
France
1962:it was a panic movement of the crowd of the manifestation at the door of the metro Charonne.The police didn t shoot.The names of the victims are very well known,and the families of the victims have accused the minister of the interior for his bad management of the crisis,not for the utilization of weapons.
1961:it was a manifestation of partizans of the FLN.Curiously,there is no list of victims,no names of the families,and each time a plack street is inaugurated,nobody is invited by the municipalities….example ,my town Choisy le Roi.The FLN speak about one hundred od disappeared,but why aren t they able to give one or two names...because it was a press speculation.
But the slaughter of Isly street,in Algiers,is not an invention.An infantry s company has shot.

Oct 2013
Europix
1962:it was a panic movement of the crowd of the manifestation at the door of the metro Charonne.The police didn t shoot.The names of the victims are very well known,and the families of the victims have accused the minister of the interior for his bad management of the crisis,not for the utilization of weapons.
1961:it was a manifestation of partizans of the FLN.Curiously,there is no list of victims,no names of the families,and each time a plack street is inaugurated,nobody is invited by the municipalities….example ,my town Choisy le Roi.The FLN speak about one hundred od disappeared,but why aren t they able to give one or two names...because it was a press speculation.
But the slaughter of Isly street,in Algiers,is not an invention.An infantry s company has shot.

The panic movement in 1961 was provoked by the Police charge. True, they didn't used fire guns. Just sticks. 9 dead.

That the March in 1962 was organised by FLN it isn't that important, as the March wasn't armed, wasn't intended as violent. The manifestants came in family: wifes, children, grandparents.

And yes, it's odd how official records have vanished, are unreachable, aso. Anyway, the most pondered study on it (that debunked a lot of exaggeration/propaganda/hearsay) still gives more than 30 dead. And if I'm not mistaken, the French State officially talked about some 40 casualties lately.

Let's say that it's a bit odd to talk about state violence and violent repression and dismiss incidents were victims weren't shot. It sounds a bit like "kill as much as You want as long as You don't do it with a firearm. No gun shot, You're not violent, it ain't violent repression" ...

Last edited:
Oct 2013
Europix
In France,we know the names of the victims of the révolutions of 1830,1848,the commune de Paris, etc.….How is it possible to know the names of the victims of the Saint Barthelemy (1572) and not of 1962 ?
IDK.

There are two possible answers:

1. There were no victims.
2. We don't want to know there were any victims.