The "Gilets Jaunes" in France: a revolution unfolding in front of our eyes ?

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Unfortunately it reads like a caricature or a propaganda piece.... The author is clearly anti Gilets Jaunes, but he could have made his points without resorting to caricature, mistakes and outright lies..... There are too many to point out but here are a few

BTW, the label " racist" no longer seems to get enough traction so now the fashion is to discredit adversaries by claiming they are into conspiracy theories

For some reason the author starts to conflate alleged conspiracy theories with the Benalla affair... The Benalla affair is unrelated to the GJ and is currently under investigation including by the senate.... Not a conspiracy theory

He then claims the "pouvoir d'achat" (buying power) in France is some $38K, its unclear where he gets that number from since there is no such official number in France. According to french official stats for the year 2017 the average net SALARY was just a bit above 1700 euros per month (about 21 000 euros per year which is roughly $25 000) but that is of course before taxes

He has no end of contempt for the alleged problems created by the GJ but he has failed to notice that unlike other unrest in France ,the GJ only demonstrate on saturdays, thus allowing everyone a full work week and keeping disruption to a mininum... He then pulls out some fantasy numbers about alleged economic damage created by the GJ

For someone who is quick to accuse others of conspiracy theories he then pulls out one of his own (which of course HE does not consider to be one) “Backed by Vladimir Putin, France’s far Right and far Left have joined forces violently to destroy the French Republic.” That is not an exaggeration

The government and journalists are at pains to stress that not all of the Gilets Jaunes are violent. It is only a minority committing the arson, vandalism, burning, and looting. That's precisely what the government and media are NOT doing

The most extreme violence comes from the far Right, as it always has in modern France the most extreme violence so far has come from anti-fa and Black Bloc, both of which are extreme left...... The extreme right has been notably absent, except in propaganda pieces such as this one

Overwhelmingly, the respondents were less interested in the details of tax policy than they were in reversing the 2001 Taubira law that legalized same-sex marriage. I suppose it does not matter much that the law in question is dated May 2013 since the author is not concerned with facts.....

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
It's a she; she lives in Paris and is expressing her own views rather than conducting propaganda on anyone's behalf; on the irrationality and incoherence of the movement she seems pretty correct in my view.

Last edited:
Aug 2009
Londinium
I was in Paris a few weekends ago. The GJ I sore and spoke with were middle aged and friendly, even if their English/my French made communications hard. Didn't see a single GJ that made me feel threatened. I was there over a weekend, from Friday-Sunday night

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
It's a she; she lives in Paris and is expressing her own views rather than conducting propaganda on anyone's behalf; on the irrationality and incoherence of the movement she seems pretty correct in my view.
I stand corrected.... SHE lives in Paris then and I will extrapolate that she mingles in the "progressist" (as they like to call themselves) media circles who pretty much tell the same tales and have been dismissive and contemptuous of the GJ since day 1 (which is why the GJ dont like them)... In particular Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have in mid December already denounced the excessive use of force by police, but only towards end January the french main media have caught on (where as they should have known about that before AI and HRW)... She perpetuates this by even questionning whether the gravely injured exist....

The GJ are no more irrational than the brexiters (who are according to the same media old and stupid racists) or the italian electorate... They have 2 main demands, 1 is "RIC" (citizen referendum) modelled after the swiss (not the caricature she reports in her piece) and increase in income of the "have nots" through a combination of less taxation and salary increases... One thing they are NOT asking for are handouts

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
I stand corrected.... SHE lives in Paris then and I will extrapolate that she mingles in the "progressist" (as they like to call themselves) media circles who pretty much tell the same tales and have been dismissive and contemptuous of the GJ since day 1 (which is why the GJ dont like them)... In particular Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have in mid December already denounced the excessive use of force by police, but only towards end January the french main media have caught on (where as they should have known about that before AI and HRW)... She perpetuates this by even questionning whether the gravely injured exist....

The GJ are no more irrational than the brexiters (who are according to the same media old and stupid racists) or the italian electorate... They have 2 main demands, 1 is "RIC" (citizen referendum) modelled after the swiss (not the caricature she reports in her piece) and increase in income of the "have nots" through a combination of less taxation and salary increases... One thing they are NOT asking for are handouts
You've pigeonholed her quite wrongly, she's the author of a book on Margaret Thatcher and recently said this: "I do not like the Democrats. At all. After the year-long sex panic and the Kavanaugh spectacle, frankly, I loathe them." A sort of inedependent-minded centrist with conservative tendencies I would have thought. I don't care for Macron and his kind at and felt an instinctive sympathy for these protestors at the beginning, but I have concluded that they are a waste of time and harmful to the nation for much the reasons that she suggests. She can be heard talking about events in France here (moderate conservative site), from last December:

Cast Iron Skillets and A World In Flames - Ricochet

I feel sympathy with her attitude there.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
You've pigeonholed her quite wrongly, she's the author of a book on Margaret Thatcher and recently said this: "I do not like the Democrats. At all. After the year-long sex panic and the Kavanaugh spectacle, frankly, I loathe them." A sort of inedependent-minded centrist with conservative tendencies I would have thought. I don't care for Macron and his kind at and felt an instinctive sympathy for these protestors at the beginning, but I have concluded that they are a waste of time and harmful to the nation for much the reasons that she suggests. She can be heard talking about events in France here (moderate conservative site), from last December:

Cast Iron Skillets and A World In Flames - Ricochet

I feel sympathy with her attitude there.
Naah, in France its not a pigeon hole but rather a black hole that sucks in most journalists..... The problem is that she is rehashing what can be heard non stop on french media by a media corp that overwhelmingly voted Macron, did not even know that the GJ existed and despises them ever since it discovered their existence.. to that she adds all kind of caricatures and plain wrong info (as with the alleged "2001" Taubira law or the fantasy "buying power" numbers or her fantasy claim about extreme right violence within the GJ)...
This does not mean that the GJ are all upstanding folks and that they are without problems, but her piece is as biased as can be ....

There are however some valid questions raised by the GJ , perhaps the most interesting of which is the RIC ..... which holds that given a sufficient number of petitioners and within certain time constraints (several months at mininum to avoid voting on hot issues in a hurry) , a question can be put directly to the people (much like the brexit referendum)

Oct 2013
Europix