The "Gilets Jaunes" in France: a revolution unfolding in front of our eyes ?

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
I think this undersells the anomaly Trump is. Bush was widely critisised but arguably not to the extend of Trump and I think him at least trying to act like a profesional had a lot to do with that. It should also be noted that mainstream media is more of a meme than an actual thing. To most critics it means leftist, anti Trump, pro Europe and all that stuff but things like Fox News or the British news papers aren't any less mainstream. Most media outlets do lean to one way or the other but this is exactly why its weird to just consider it one big entity. Fox news isn't the same as CNN and the Sun isn't the same as the Volkskrant.
Fox News is “liar television” and often isn’t “news” at all. When I watch/listen to PBS, CNN or MSNBC or any other mainstream news source, I don’t get the feeling that I’m being lied to incessantly or manipulated. A lot of Americans, but a strict minority at the moment) would say the opposite, but this is my point of view. As the man (above) said, all news sources are going to have some kind of point of view that Imay or may not agree with in whole or in part. I can say with absolute certainty (because I’m old and have been around a long time) that very few people criticized the national news until Fox showed up and tilted the table top. That’s a fact.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Fox News is “liar television” and often isn’t “news” at all. When I watch/listen to PBS, CNN or MSNBC or any other mainstream news source, I don’t get the feeling that I’m being lied to incessantly or manipulated. A lot of Americans, but a strict minority at the moment) would say the opposite, but this is my point of view. As the man (above) said, all news sources are going to have some kind of point of view that Imay or may not agree with in whole or in part. I can say with absolute certainty (because I’m old and have been around a long time) that very few people criticized the national news until Fox showed up and tilted the table top. That’s a fact.
The only American news source I trust is C-Span. All the rest cut off fragments, have their talking heads interpret etc. CNN, NBC and Fox are the worst imo. Better switch to the local news when it is about local stuff (Smollett for example) or navigate twitter.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Florida counting certainly doesn't favor the right over the left. It entirely depends on the county in question. The current counting problem were in districts run by democrats (not surprising since the reps won).
And I certainly do remember the same people making a fuzz about Trump not answering if he would abide by the 2016 result, keep going about a Russian collusion.

You don't get a judge removal easily. You have to show that judges aren't being fair. Iirc there are about 20 judge removals in a year.
That it is possible to have so many removals in two cases about free speech is very telling, since this wasn't handled by forum dwellers or traffic court judges. And it gives me the creeps to think about other cases where a lot depends on interpretation.

Well point me to one thing in Halsema's CV which may help at being mayor.
Cartel is the right word, since it about jobs and decision making being limited to a couple of parties. Similar to the 18th century.

You can't really give a direct translation. "We will handle this" may be better. And she was speaking as the leader of the country. It wasn't some speech in parliament or some such.
And obviously a government representative isn't going to talk about a fake parliament when they have the majority there. But wait what happens when populists (or other "wrong" ones) are in charge. Just ask the Greeks or Berlusconi.

The difference being that the Clinton stuff gets out after some investigation (and Obama got an overall free pass), whereas anything which is negatively associated to Trump is published before the ink is dry.

As a recent example: NPR Blatantly Lies About Donald Trump Jr.'s 2017 Senate Testimony
Knowingly misquoting from public records, make a nasty story about it and then retract only after the other media channels have also aired it. It happens too often to attribute it to incompetence.
I’m quite sure that junior was lying like a tug.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
The only American news source I trust is C-Span. All the rest cut off fragments, have their talking heads interpret etc. CNN, NBC and Fox are the worst imo. Better switch to the local news when it is about local stuff (Smollett for example) or navigate twitter.
Bully for you.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Good or bad, Emmanuel Macron is the democratically elected president of France and there are no legal reasons for his removal, those who don't like him should understand how democracy works, and wait for the next elections, when the French people will elect the next Macron.
It takes some kind of special arrogance and sense of personal entitlement to insist that a politician should resign because “they” want him to. Nonsense.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Well the US media still has not got over the election of their Potus.... CNN notably seems to think that their president is still Obama and publishes positive pieces on Michelle Obama (whom they probably want as the next president) every week at least..... apparently shagging a potus that CNN likes is sufficient qualification.....
The European (and french media notably) still has not got over brexit and there is not a day that goes by without some mention that brexit could/should be cancelled..... and all the negative effects that are sure to come

When you have media that are constantly calling for the removal of one president and calling for the cancellation of another vote that they do not like it is not surprising that the 75%+ who did not vote for Macron in the first round of the presidential election (plus all those who did not vote at all) dont really think he should necessarily remain... Even the media who were cheerleading for him during the campaign as one are now distancing themselves from him (and pretending they had nothing to do with his election.... "no sir. its not us. we had nothing at all to do with it//)
Well, that’s just great. We now have the village idiot as president and we are going to be very lucky if we survive him.