The Goa Inquisition

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
From what I can understand, it was aimed at Indians who converted to Catholicism and still practiced Hinduism or other religions. There were all sort of advantages to being Catholic in Goa. Plus existing Indian Christians were considered heretics. There were also Portuguese "New Christians" to be investigated, who went to Goa to take advantage of trade opportunities and/or go to non Portuguese Indian areas and join existing Jewish congregations.

Reactions: prashanth

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
From what I can understand, it was aimed at Indians who converted to Catholicism and still practiced Hinduism or other religions. There were all sort of advantages to being Catholic in Goa. Plus existing Indian Christians were considered heretics. There were also Portuguese "New Christians" to be investigated, who went to Goa to take advantage of trade opportunities and/or go to non Portuguese Indian areas and join existing Jewish congregations.
There were no existing Christians before Portuguese came, mainly the Hindus and native New Christians were persecuted along with Jews who had fled to Goa to escape Inquisition in mainland Portugal.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
This subject was already treated here several times. The Portuguese Inquisition, just like the Spanish, had as major aim the heresies. And as such the Jews among the New-Cristians, since many were crypto Jews due the forced conversions. Other Christian sects existing in India could also fall into the aim of the inquisition, such as the Saint Thomas Christians.

In Goa there were persecutions of the Hindus, but I really don’t know if they were made by the inquisition, exceeding its legal competences, or by other Portuguese authorities, often the border could be thin.

There were no existing Christians before Portuguese came, mainly the Hindus and native New Christians were persecuted along with Jews who had fled to Goa to escape Inquisition in mainland Portugal.
Saint Thomas Christians? They were already present when the Portuguese arrived.

Reactions: Frank81

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
My understanding is that many Hindus nominally converted to Catholicism because laws and so on were biased towards Catholics. Many of them were then persecuted by the Inquisition for secretly practicing their religion, as Jews and Muslim "New Christians" were in the Iberian Peninsula.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
My understanding is that many Hindus nominally converted to Catholicism because laws and so on were biased towards Catholics. Many of them were then persecuted by the Inquisition for secretly practicing their religion, as Jews and Muslim "New Christians" were in the Iberian Peninsula.
I think that can explain partially the persecutions but not fully. It went farther than that. Anyway it has been a long time that I read about the Inquisition in the Orient.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
St Thomas Christians were mainly confined to Kerala, they migrated as Cochin was a famous spice trade port. There is no history of pre-Colonial Christian presence in Karnataka, Goa or Maharashtra.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Hindus were mainly subjected to forced conversion but in post inquisition Goa, Hindus were allowed to freely follow their religion but the laws were still highly in favour of Catholics despite Hindus being in majority.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
St Thomas Christians were mainly confined to Kerala, they migrated as Cochin was a famous spice trade port. There is no history of pre-Colonial Christian presence in Karnataka, Goa or Maharashtra.
Got it! We were talking about different things. Goa’s inquisition is not only about Goa, as you seem to be speaking only about Goa itself.

Goa was the capital of all the Portuguese India, and was not confined to the present Goa or even the Republic of India present owned territories. Macao was under it, as Ormuz, Malacca, the fortresses on the East African Coast, Moluccas, Timor…

That meant that the religious institutions had the same reasoning, such as the diocese and the Inquisition.

The borders that exist today between the Indian states, such as Goa, Karnataka and Kerala didn’t exist at the time.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Got it! We were talking about different things. Goa’s inquisition is not only about Goa, as you seem to be speaking only about Goa itself.

Goa was the capital of all the Portuguese India, and was not confined to the present Goa or even the Republic of India present owned territories. Macao was under it, as Ormuz, Malacca, the fortresses on the East African Coast, Moluccas, Timor…

That meant that the religious institutions had the same reasoning, such as the diocese and the Inquisition.

The borders that exist today between the Indian states, such as Goa, Karnataka and Kerala didn’t exist at the time.
I have one doubt about Mangalorean Catholics, many of them migrated because they were not ready to fully adopt to Portuguese culture when new Christians were persecuted. I was wondering who was forcing them to adopt complete Portuguese culture, monarchy or does it has any support from the Church outside of Portugal. I have lived with many Mangalorean Catholics, they seems well knitted to Catholicism but at the same time their culture is more Indianized compared to Goa.

Reactions: Tulius
Nov 2014
India
This subject was already treated here several times. The Portuguese Inquisition, just like the Spanish, had as major aim the heresies. And as such the Jews among the New-Cristians, since many were crypto Jews due the forced conversions. Other Christian sects existing in India could also fall into the aim of the inquisition, such as the Saint Thomas Christians.

In Goa there were persecutions of the Hindus, but I really don’t know if they were made by the inquisition, exceeding its legal competences, or by other Portuguese authorities, often the border could be thin.

They did persecute Saint Thomas Christians in Kerala, where they were present from maybe more than a millenium ago.